M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Norenco installed in the new Sage EBR without incident and it went together without a hitch. When I performed the hammer safety test I do believe it failed. I pulled the op rod and let er go home. Snicked on the safety and tried to pull the trigger. It passed. Released the safety, pulled the trigger and the hammer clicked home. Released the trigger then held it back and cocked the op rod several times released op rod and let it fly home. Released the trigger. No audible click of the hammer and when I pulled the trigger it would seem that the hammer was already home, indicating it would have fired if a round hand been in the chamber. Is there a problem here? Does the M14 do this in the Sage EBR stock? I then dissambled the gun out of the sage EBR Stock and stuck it back in the Norenco stock and the weapon passed the hammer safety test. I am thinking that I may have to remove some material from the trigger receptacle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this same problem with my Springfield. From what I was told by others here on this forum, this is not a problem. From what I've been told, as well, that performing your traditional functions check like on an M16/AR15 platform does not apply for the M14/M1A platform. Now even though the hammer follows the bolt home on your rifle during an M16 type functions check, when you are actually firing there will be enough force on the hammer from the bolt to push the hammer back all the way to be caught by the rear trigger hooks. Hopefully this helps answer your question. If your still unsure, you can always have it inspected by a smith.

D13

·
Registered
628 Posts
This MAY not be a problem. There is the possibility of this happening during live-fire, but more often it is not an issue. Best way to tell is head to the range and try it out... just make sure you're mindful of the possibility of slam-fire doubling.

I personally had a trigger do this in my Sage chassis. It would double, and about 1 in 4 rounds would have the hammer follow the bolt. I ended up throwing out the hammer and trigger (SEI modified) and installing new USGI parts. My trigger felt like garbage again, and the rifle still failed the dry function-check... but all issues during live-fire were resolved.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
ABSOLUTELY THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM.

The M14 trigger system is known to be exceptionally sensitive to variations in stock height between trigger pads and top of the receiver mounting surfaces.
EVEN PAINTING A STOCK CAN TURN A PREVIOUSLY SAFE RIFLE INTO ONE IN WHICH THE HAMMER FOLLOWS.

THEORETICALLY,
the Garand designed firing system has a couple of safety mechanisms which will slow down the hammer and firing pin enough to prevent an Out Of Battery/slam fire if the hammer follows.

THEORETICALLY!!

I PERSONALLY WOULD NOT RELY ON THESE MECHANISMS AS AN OUT OF BATTERY EXPLOSION CAN COST YOU YOUR EYES OR FINGERS.

EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU REMOVE THE M14 RECEIVER FROMTHE STOCK YOU ABSOLUTELY SHOULD DO THE HAMMER FOLLOW TEST.
EVERY TIME,
NO EXCEPTION.

AND IF IT FAILS,
GET IT FIXED PROPERLY BEFORE FIRING IT!!!!!!!!!!

This advice is coming from a guy who has worked on HUNDREDs of the M14 type rifles,

Take it for what it is worth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts