M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm relatively new to shooting. I've been fascinated and interested by weapons of all sorts since I was a child, but only three years ago did I find myself in a financial position to begin building my own arsenal. I have a few and a couple more that I sold off for one reason or another.

My most recent addition is a Marlin Rio Grand in .45-70. I bought it with the intention of getting into hog hunting. Hoping to go to FL in December and bag some while I'm visiting my sister and her family.

My next purchase is either going to be a subcompact handgun (my P229 is a bit big for carrying in my coat pocket which I've learned is more convenient for me in the winter than waistband carry) or some sort of "battle rifle."

I prefer the M14 style for the more powerful cartridge and the traditional stock (I don't really like pistol grips on long guns,) but I may have to give in and get an AR for purely budget motivated reasons. Everyone on every other board has tried to talk me into an AR, so I joined your board to find out why the M14 is worth the extra moolah, lol LOL1

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Welcome to the boards!

I'm not going to try and convince you what rifle you should get. You either want one or you don't. I became an M14 fanboy after seeing Blackhawk Down as a child, and it was my dream rifle until after my first deployment when I had enough money to buy it.

You can build an AR right now for about $500 (using slickguns.com for deals), and you won't find an M1A for that price anywhere. I've always preferred unique, special firearms over an AR.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Welcome from Texas, ArmedNerd. A bullet that weighs close to 2 & 1/2 times an AR 15 rd. says a lot. Turning cover into only concealment says more. My Father carried a M1 Garand in combat . He made 3 combat landings in the Pacific It brought him home safe [the m1 garand is the m14 's father]. Years ago I had bought an Ar15 and showed it to him after looking at it carefully, his reply was "Son, that rifle doesn't have enough A$$ for my war". I sold it soon after and bought my 1st M1A and haven't been without one since. As for the M1A he approved of it whole heartedly and wished they had had the 20rd magazines back in 44' and 45'

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,080 Posts
Everyone on every other board has tried to talk me into an AR, so I joined your board to find out why the M14 is worth the extra moolah, lol LOL1
Welcome from SoCal!

The M14/M1A has the best sights of all the battle rifles, and the best trigger of the battle rifles, save the AR. In .308, it is generally a bit less accurate but much more reliable overall. M14 mags are much stronger and more plentiful than .308 AR mags. Steel receiver. You can have old school wood 'n steel which you can't with an AR or you can have a full modern custom. You can have pistol grip stock or regular stock, not really with an AR. The TROY chassis allows the handling of the AR in the M14 platform, no AR feels like an M14. There are many options, mods, and upgrades. The M14 also has a soul.
The M14 is a labor of love though sometimes, there are easier choices if you are not into the rifle itself, or just want a more modern off the shelf rifle. I've seen a Standard model M1A with a plastic stock shoot a dime size 3 shot group, that's not the norm, and I've seen some that need accurizing help. I'd take the opportunity to shoot one or two and see if it feels good to you and see where it goes from there. The first time I fired one at age 13, I fell in live for life.
m14brian

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,621 Posts
Great decision in registering here and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you post often ArmedNerd. I fired my first M14 >45 years ago, my heart belongs to the battlerifle. I have shot all different kinds of rifle since then and the M14 still has my heart today...

DI5

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
"The M14 has a soul" so very true. Just pick one up and hold it, work the action, put it to your shoulder and think of the history you are holding. Think of the true Heroes who have carried this rifle in combat; thank you Gunny. Now do the same with an AR (Mattel), feel it,shoulder it and remember it's past, then start saving your nickels and dimes. You will not regret it! Welcome to this forum and Band of Brothers. Families come in all forms, this one is good and interesting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. I haven't ever held a M14, but I do like the history and looks of it. I took an AR15 certification course for my armed security training back in FL (live in NC now) and it was pretty "meh."

·
Registered
425 Posts
To put it simply:
Everyone and their grandmother has an AR.
People with a sense of class own M1A/M14s.

That may be a gross oversimplification, but take an M1A or other M14 type rifle to a range and watch all the attention you steal from the guys firing their flavor of the week AR15.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
an excellent suggestion

Do yourself a favor and go to gun stores and gun shows until you can handle a few at least. I think you'll say to yourself, "That's a rifle!"
m14brian
Absolutely

1 - 11 of 11 Posts