M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just received a beautiful Big Red birch stock from Fred's. Got an unexpected bonus of tiger striping. I refinished a "lesser" stock by just degreasing and using tung oil. It looks good, but this new stock needs better than that.

After reading (and re-reading) many posts, how-tos, etc. my head is spinning. I'm thinking of following the recommendation from Fred's of cleaning, staining and finishing.

So, I have a few questions for the group:

How do I get the stock to bare wood? Bleach? Sanding? Stripping?

Fred recommends Minwax mahogany stain to bring out the striping--is red mahogany a good choice?

Last: Tung or Tru oil?

This raises buttplate questions that I'll post in the M14 forum. Thanks in advance gang!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
There are many, many ways to refinish a stock. None are necessarily more correct than others.

To get to the bare wood, what I normally do is hit the stock with some Simple Green to remove outer grease and oils. After it has dried, I hit it with some Soy Gel, let it sit, then rinse with very hot water, finished by another treatment of the Simple Green and water rinse. I then let it dry--not in the sun--for several days, if not a week or so. Thereafter, sand to taste and you're ready for the staining.

As for staining, here's an example I did with a birch stock and finished in Tru Oil. I have used Pure Tung Oil, but I generally save that for walnut stocks. For birch I seem to prefer using Boiled Linseed Oil.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My walnut came out great with pure tung oil. It brought out all the striping but is between matte and semi gloss. If you want gloss then minwax or another commercial product might do it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are many, many ways to refinish a stock. None are necessarily more correct than others.

To get to the bare wood, what I normally do is hit the stock with some Simple Green to remove outer grease and oils. After it has dried, I hit it with some Soy Gel, let it sit, then rinse with very hot water, finished by another treatment of the Simple Green and water rinse. I then let it dry--not in the sun--for several days, if not a week or so. Thereafter, sand to taste and you're ready for the staining.

As for staining, here's an example I did with a birch stock and finished in Tru Oil. I have used Pure Tung Oil, but I generally save that for walnut stocks. For birch I seem to prefer using Boiled Linseed Oil.
Thanks much for the advice--you do great work sir. I hope to follow your lead closely!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My walnut came out great with pure tung oil. It brought out all the striping but is between matte and semi gloss. If you want gloss then minwax or another commercial product might do it.
I was happy with my first effort, but this stock needs more TLC. I do have one more (Vietnam Big Red) that will get the PTO treatment. Thank you for your advice sir!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts