M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
Please don't bash too hard on me for this but how do you remove the hand guard?
There's more than one way to skin this cat. I've used two ways:

I remove the gas plug and move the front band far enough forward so that I can move the hand guard forward along the channel for the hand guard clip. When it gets to the end of that channel, I use a rubber hammer and gently tap the receiver end of the hand guard til it pops out of the channel and I can remove it by hand.

You can also use a small punch, stick it through the small hole on the hand guard clip, and push it away from the barrel til it pops out of the channel. This works well for standard hand guards but not with a wood hand guard because there is not enough space to insert the pin punch.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I place the receiver/barrel group on the bench with the bottom facing up. Then I take two punches that will fit in the holes on the handguard clip and push outward. Once the clip ends are out of the grooves on the barrel, I push the handguard off.

If you have to force anything or use a hammer to remove the handguard, I would take a moment to reconsider before attempting to force anything.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
I place the receiver/barrel group on the bench with the bottom facing up. Then I take two punches that will fit in the holes on the handguard clip and push outward. Once the clip ends are out of the grooves on the barrel, I push the handguard off.

If you have to force anything or use a hammer to remove the handguard, I would take a moment to reconsider before attempting to force anything.
I only use the rubber hammer (yes, rubber) it to get the hand guard clip to slide forward out of the channel...it's not as intense as it sounds. Sometimes, the clip has been previously bended outward enough to where the clip will come right out of that channel, but then again that makes for a loose hand guard clip which I hate. I guess I should have specified that this method I use with a walnut hand guard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts