M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally new to the world of M1's so please bear with me. I am looking for an AFFORDABLE M1. I don't want a collector as I am not a collector. I want a shooter, meaning the wood doesn't bother me much, but the barrel and chmber must be good. Where do I go for something like this and how much should I look to spend. I looked at CMP, and like their prices, but I just don't know what kind of shape I'm looking into there. Anyone care to help?

·
Registered
947 Posts
CMP rifles were US military rifles or on loan to European armies after WW2 and recently returned.

CMP rifles are graded by condition and shootability other than their collector grade which just means the barrel and receiver are by the same maker and perhaps most of the parts.

None are Match M1s, which has been an oxymoron for a couple of decades but there are rifles available with low round barrels, etc.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Personally, I'd go with a US Service Grade M1 from the CMP. Their partially graded by barrel wear, and the ones I got so far have been in fairly good shape. A couple I've had to refinish the stocks on (dings and dents), but if that doesn't worry you, go for it. They've all functioned and shot well. I assume you're not looking for a Match rifle, just a good, standard shooter. HTH,
Liftrat22

·
Registered
276 Posts
liftrat22 said:
Personally, I'd go with a US Service Grade M1 from the CMP. Their partially graded by barrel wear, and the ones I got so far have been in fairly good shape. A couple I've had to refinish the stocks on (dings and dents), but if that doesn't worry you, go for it. They've all functioned and shot well. I assume you're not looking for a Match rifle, just a good, standard shooter. HTH,
Liftrat22
+1

I have 6 CMP rifles and some of the SG rifles I have recieved looked like they are almost brand new.

Otherwise, I would go with a greek rack grade, buy a new barrel (+installation) for 200 or so dollars, and a new stock (partially for looks and partially for a really good lock up with helps accuracy, sometimes cutting groups in half). This way, you would only have a bit more into the rifle then a SG and have a new barrel and stock. You rifle will look great and should shoot great.

If thinking about this option, check with Deans Gun Restoration (DGR). He does amazing work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.