M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunny and 82 yesterday, so I took a walk about with birch stock SA M1A in hand, as exercise, around our few acres and I noticed how much noise the plastic handguard made, rattling and practically ringing to the touch. 8O

Any suggestions as to how to make the handguard not be like a cow bell would be appreciated.

TIA,
Gary

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Thats pretty common in most M14/M1A weapons ....

Not "all" ... But most ...

I believe you can shim the clip/hanguard with some tape and I have seen some that use small pieces of rubber.

I don't let it worry me in peactime ....

Combat ... ???

Now thats a different story ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Six,

There are deer that hang around the area, along with people that don't care about fence lines. Just never noticed the noise at the range. Sure is loud in the woods.

I am not sure if the handguard provided by SA is "lighter" than USGI issue and if substituting the USGI part would help the problem, along with your suggestions.

Thanks again,
Gary

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
rattle

One of the things that the USMC match procedures book tells you to do is the tap over the little ears in the front band where the lower corners of the front of the handguard slides in. Ive done this on both mine and it absolutly eleminated the rattle. One word of caution---IT DONT TAKE MUCH ! so be carefull. The little ears can break off if they go to far.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I noticed the same thing. specialy when hunting, it is all quiet and your M1A is clicking when you walk. one way of fixing that is to epoxy the rear clip to the hand guard and bend the ears on the front band so they hold the hand guard tight. you would have to heat and aneal the front band ears before bending.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Other than the previously mentioned bending of the ferrule tabs, and of glueing the HG clip to the handguard, there is another way that will give a tight and quieter fit. It won't show at the clip, and there's no risk of damage to the ferrule wings.

The HG gets glassed in two areas: first is on the HG tenon where it engages the ferrule (use release agent on the ferrule.) The second place to glass is under the rear of the HG, where you will see two built-up dimples. The idea here is to build up the dimples so that the glassing will set the HG up against the clip. Put release agent on top of the barrel also, where those dimples will set.

I use Acraglas Gel (green box) because it works on a lot of things and has worked well on HGs. Put it on the HG, let it set for "several" hours until it is just barely tacky to touch and still malleable. Mold it to close to the desired shape with your fingers, squeezing and flattening to make the HG close to fitting the metal. Then install the handguard, you may need to do some cleanup of the excess at the ferrule for a neat looking job.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Hers something that works well. Get a roll of "No Slip Strip" and cut apiece just wide enough to cover the front between the metal and the top of the hand guard. Tightens it right up and that stuff is really tuff. You have to put a strip on then install the stock because the stock pulls down on the metal. Just repeat stacking it untill its just right. one or two layers usaly does it

·
Banned
611 Posts
Are you all sure it ain't the mag clicking? all of mine do it and they are all either gi or chicom. They click with a full or empty or anywhere in between load. I just learned to deal with it and carry it a certain way as to minimize the racket. The mags have also done this in several different rifles so I know it ain't the gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.