M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this a few days ago and it works well. People that live near me say it sounds like a shotgun off at a distance.
I shoot a m1a or 300 wm thru it, parts list 2 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood 6 or 7 2x4s old carpet scraps and wood screws. Finished size
2x2x8 feet
if you enlarge the pic at the top you can see target it's a 600 yard reduced for 300 yards but we shoot it at 350 yards

chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I left a few things out build a 2x4 frame 8 ft long and split a 4x8 sheet of plywood I had lowes do it.
install carpet in all areas with 1/2 staples add a few baffles top and bottom. I left the sides wide so spotting scope
can see through inside

·
Registered
250 Posts
Cool idea. What prompted you to do this? I could see working something like this into my future shooting shed. Does it cause you to need more ear pro?

Even though I'm pretty deep in my own woods I've been considering what I could do to reduce my impact on the sound scape of the neighborhood. Weekends are for what we will, and for many that means peace and quiet. I'm reminded of this while peering over my grin at my father's grimace while sitting outside his retirement house we built in the middle of nowhere and listening to the MG dealer test firing 2 miles down the valley. If only getting suppressors didn't involve so much knee padding, I doubt anyone would be without them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dogear
This time of year people spend a lot more time outside so I going to keep the noise down and I'm shooting a lot more
getting ready for matches. as for hearing protection just ear plugs and you will hear a thump when you shoot. You just put the barrel inside a few inches. My total cost to make was under 100 bucks

·
Registered
712 Posts
Lee that is very cool. It's also the biggest solvent trap I've ever seen.😁

·
Registered
250 Posts
Oh, so you don't get in there too. Now Im gettin it. Smert. Awesome thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 30 cal suppressor it's just not any good for off hand or sling shooting way to heavy.
just use it for 300 whisper to shoot turtles in my pond they eat all the fish

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice setup. I saw where someone did something similar with a row of used tires lined up to form "baffles" of a sort. It was supposed to quiet things down a good bit as well. But, as long as it keeps the neighbors and the Mrs happy, it's a win.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I planted spruce trees on both sides of my range for noise reduction. If you're not in a hurry it works like a champ.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I planted spruce trees on both sides of my range for noise reduction. If you're not in a hurry it works like a champ.
If your not in a hurry. I like that statement!

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
I lightened it up some so "I could see what was going on!"

M1Army

1 - 15 of 15 Posts