M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked up my Loaded M1A I ordered off the net.
I'm very happy to once AGAIN have an M1A sitting pretty in my safe.
Previously had a scout model that I sold.
My stupid question to you all is:
Why does the M1A need a muzzle break?
Is there something inherent with the design of this rifle or round that it fires, that requires it to have this appendage?
Regards,
Jon

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ok.
But why even a flash suppressor?
Why not nothing at all?
Is there a reason?
Regards,
Jon
The M-14's had flash suppressors for obvious reasons. The M1A is a honest duplication of the M-14. It wouldn't look right
without the suppressor.MCORPS1

Siefly
MC1

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
It's based on the M14 rifle... to be service rifle legal the rifle has to have the same profile as the M14, without the flash suppressor or brake it's not legal for competition.

You can take it off if it really bugs you that much but your front sight will go with it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
And with that all said, I'm sure why SAI offers a break is for lame states like CA, NY, etc, that can't have a flash hider legally, and some people just prefer a break over a flash hider.

Also, like above, where else will you put your front sight?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With all due respect, no one has answered my question.
Forget about aesthetics, I agree it looks cool.
Really now, why does the M14/M1A even have a flash suppressor.
A front sight can be mounted on the end of the barrel as is the case with most other rifles.
Such as the M1 Garand.
Regards,
Jon

·
Registered
135 Posts
'cuz it was designed that way I guess. For anyone to truly know why, we would have to ask Mr. Garand why he designed it that way.

Or my best answer is; it was originally a military type weapon, they have flash suppressors.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
With all due respect, no one has answered my question.
Forget about aesthetics, I agree it looks cool.
Really now, why does the M14/M1A even have a flash suppressor.
A front sight can be mounted on the end of the barrel as is the case with most other rifles.
Such as the M1 Garand.
Regards,
Jon
It's a battle rifle. Designed for combat use. The flash suppressor also acts somewhat as a muzzle brake. And provides a place to mount a bayonet. So you can stab, and slash the enemy when he gets too close for comfort. GITEN

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
In a combat situation for some strange reason most of us are opposed to getting shot at because if you get hit it hurts and is likely to ruin your whole day. If the enemy knows where you are this increases the likely hood of getting shot at, hence we would like to reduce the muzzle flash. GI2GI2

-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
In a combat situation for some strange reason most of us are opposed to getting shot at because if you get hit it hurts and is likely to ruin your whole day. If the enemy knows where you are this increases the likely hood of getting shot at, hence we would like to reduce the muzzle flash. GI2GI2

-
Yes Sir you could have stated your point without the sarcasm.
(by the way spell check is your friend)
Regards,
Jon

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
A flash suppressor, also known as a flash guard, flash eliminator, flash hider, or flash cone, is a device attached to the muzzle of a rifle or other gun that reduces the visible signature of the burning gasses that exit the muzzle. This reduces the chances that the shooter will be blinded in dark conditions. A common misconception is that the flash suppressor is used to hide the shooter's position. This may be incidental, but is not the purpose of the flash suppressor

Flash suppressors are often used as a muzzle brake as well by symmetrically cutting slits near the top - but not the bottom - of the hider, which then provides some downward-force on firing as the gases escape up wards, thereby reducing muzzle climb, as well as dust kick-up. This style of muzzle brake is commonly referred to as a compensator. BRSTBOMB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A flash suppressor, also known as a flash guard, flash eliminator, flash hider, or flash cone, is a device attached to the muzzle of a rifle or other gun that reduces the visible signature of the burning gasses that exit the muzzle. This reduces the chances that the shooter will be blinded in dark conditions. A common misconception is that the flash suppressor is used to hide the shooter's position. This may be incidental, but is not the purpose of the flash suppressor

Flash suppressors are often used as a muzzle brake as well by symmetrically cutting slits near the top - but not the bottom - of the hider, which then provides some downward-force on firing as the gases escape up wards, thereby reducing muzzle climb, as well as dust kick-up. This style of muzzle brake is commonly referred to as a compensator. BRSTBOMB
Garrard,
Thank you Sir!
Jon

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
MidLifeCrisis said:
Yes Sir you could have stated your point without the sarcasm.
Regards,
Jon
Sorry you took it that way, Jon, it was intended as humor. PM me if you want to discuss this.

Sorry,

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry you took it that way, Jon, it was intended as humor. PM me if you want to discuss this.

Sorry,

Bill
Apology accepted,

Thank you Bill

I'm asking an honest question here, some rifles have flash hiders and some don't.
The M-14 / M1A apparently has one as an inherent design feature, which was explained in detail by Garrard and I'm good with that.
Regards,
Jon

·
Registered
135 Posts
By the pic you provided, you have the muzzle break on your rifle. You certainly can change it to the standard flash hider by all means. That is the fun of this rifle, swap stuff as you see fit. Make that rifle yours. The options, well, there are quite a few to choose from. Have fun and enjoy it.

BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to the US Army training film, which can be viewed via a link on another post in this forum, the flash suppressor on the M14 rifle performs several functions.

As noted above, the suppressor serves to dissipate muzzle flash, so as to cut down on a shooter's night blindness.

Also, the design of the suppressor forces the barrel forward and downward when the weapon is fired, to reduce both "climb" (especially important when the original M14 was fired in full-auto mode, I am guessing) and recoil.

At least, that is the way I understand it. Some of the Garand rifles, like the M1C and M1D versions, had flash suppressors added as well.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
it's a BRAKE . . .

~not~ a break . .

GI7GI1dance2

1 - 20 of 23 Posts