CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
922 Posts
Too cool!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
We had to do something similar in Okinawa back in 88'ish. We had a mid-air where one aircraft went in with all hands and the other returned to base without nose gear. They used a flatbed trailer and the mattress from the SDO's rack to shut down the damaged helo.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
That was unreal, the pilot never saw the stool in which he was trying to set the nose of his plane on. He was totally trusting the other pilot in the tower for guidance to get him down. He also had the added difficulty that the ship was moving.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
That was nuts!

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Amazing. What a rush just watching!
Those live leaks are great.

Especially the rebel videos, if only they would learn to low crawl when a tank spots them instead of praying.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Harrier pilots are a different breed. Sometimes I miss the days of standing on the red line watching them hover in five feet away.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Very cool. Balls of steel.

I saw a Harrier crash in about 1982 at Provo Airport in Utah... was demonstrating VTOL and just powered down at about 30 feet for some reason and angled/nosed in. No fire/explosion and IIRC the pilot was fine.

Very cool jets but they are tricky....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Pro daddy! Seems to be a part of the job and explains why all the bad ----- do it. While at a Kuwait AFB, saw a F18 on its belly. Getting into a C130 to fly into BIAP the pilot had to taxi a few times down the runway to get an engine to jumpstart.... no luck. Then we get on another bird that had a flat. Switched planes again and was on our way. Those that have been on a fully loaded C130 know that this was a long process. Troops on first then trap em in with palleted cargo. My buddy is training on the new Zulu Cobras and cant wait to hear his stories.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Those aircraft were our worst nightmare. The Logistics footprint on those things is almost as big as an Apache's

They are finicky and a PIA to work on.

On the side of the aircraft right by the avionics bays are 5 access panels if I remember correctly. Each panel has a different size fastener holding them in place.

It was an aircraft designed by committee and boy does it show.

Those aircraft are notorious for mishaps. There is a reason they are called "widowmakers." So that pilot gets bonus points beyond the normal ones in my book.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Those aircraft were our worst nightmare. The Logistics footprint on those things is almost as big as an Apache's

They are finicky and a PIA to work on.

On the side of the aircraft right by the avionics bays are 5 access panels if I remember correctly. Each panel has a different size fastener holding them in place.

It was an aircraft designed by committee and boy does it show.

Those aircraft are notorious for mishaps. There is a reason they are called "widowmakers." So that pilot gets bonus points beyond the normal ones in my book.

Sheesh.
British design , nuff said!

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
Those aircraft are notorious for mishaps. There is a reason they are called "widowmakers."
Really? I never heard them called that and I worked on and around Harriers at MCAS Yuma, AZ for over 10 years including 3 1/2 years of deployments on LHAs with six plane Harrier dets. They had a lot of problems when they started but after the bugs were worked out they weren't much different than any other aircraft, definitely not as much trouble as the F-16 (from what the guys at Hill AFB tell me).

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

B26 and F104. Both had the "Widowmaker" label. Both had high wing loading. The B-26 actually had the lowest casualty rate of the war, so it was kind of a misnomer.
Never heard the Harrier referred to with that name.
My favorite story of the Harrier was their use of the VIFF maneuver against the Argentinian A-4s. Made their head spin. Now everybody has thrust vectoring.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 19 of 19 Posts