M14 Forum banner

No modification Bipod mount

401 6
Good morning from Wisconsin. I finally pulled the trigger on a M1A, pun intended. Having just bought this awesome piece of military history, I'm not in a hurry to modify the walnut stock to accept a Harris bipod. Any suggestions?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Without trying to sound sarcastic, my first suggestion is always the same...

Learn to shoot the rifle as intended, slung up tight using the iron sights. Four of the eight firing positions are supported, which is laying your off hand on a rest, such as a sandbag.

The USGI bipod, which attaches to the gas cylinder, was intended to increase the effective range from 460 to 700 meters. When mounted properly, it works as designed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
not altering the stock is good, but you can change out the front sling swivel and incorporate the sling swivel mount with a picatinny rail that sadlak sells. completely reversable if you don't like it and less expensive than a real usgi m14 mount. if you do go with the m14 gas cylinder mount, get the more expensive ones from fulton and skip the cheap chinese knock offs.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Good morning from Wisconsin. I finally pulled the trigger on a M1A, pun intended. Having just bought this awesome piece of military history, I'm not in a hurry to modify the walnut stock to accept a Harris bipod. Any suggestions?
not altering the stock is good, but you can change out the front sling swivel and incorporate the sling swivel mount with a picatinny rail that sadlak sells. completely reversable if you don't like it and less expensive than a real usgi m14 mount.
I can't remember if mine is a Sadlak or not; I had to drill out the rivets holding the front sling swivel and replace them with socket head screws and nuts. It's still reversible, but I permanently mounted the nuts in the stock when I installed mine. It uses the same holes the rivets did, so no drilling required on the stock. This mount puts the rifle's weight on the stock and not the barrel when it's resting on the bipod.
Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Shotgun

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Machine gun

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome from Alaska.................. And nice installation on a beauty of a rifle!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
One option to consider is removing the front sling swivel and replacing it with an uncle mikes qd stud. You can find it easily on Amazon. You might need a dremel or something to sand down the bit that connects inside the stock (I did so) so that it does not come into contact with the gas rod, but no alteration to your actual stock is necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts