M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of one other than the M2 system that mounts to the gas cylinder? I searched around the web, read a few threads here and couldn't find anything. I have the walnut stock with the sling loops, no swivel studs or rail. I have figured out a way it could be done, surely someone else has??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
You wont find too much information about mounting a bipod on the gas cylinder because it's not a very good setup, they usually ruin your accuracy. Sadlak makes a very good mount that attaches where the front sling swivel mounts.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You wont find too much information about mounting a bipod on the gas cylinder because it's not a very good setup
Yep, I almost ordered one before reading up on it here.

http://sadlak.com/si_hd_front_rail.html

This is close to what I'm looking for, and thanks for the info. I really would like something that uses the sling loop to secure the mounting bracket to the rifle. I think it could be accomplished using two brackets that fit through the loop and then are braced with separating screws to apply pressure and secure the base. A stud could then be attached, or the outside bracket could have be a p-rail and you wouldn't have to modify your rifle. Maybe just wishfull thinking and too much beer... ALCOHOLIC1

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not sure why you would want to do what you are saying. Recommend you buy the rail and the drill bit, get some epoxy from your local auto parts store, and install. It will be solid, permanent, look good, and you still have use of the sling loop. I did it recently and am very satisfied.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not sure why you would want to do what you are saying. Recommend you buy the rail and the drill bit, get some epoxy from your local auto parts store, and install. It will be solid, permanent, look good, and you still have use of the sling loop. I did it recently and am very satisfied.
[/URL][/IMG]
I also use this setup...works great and looks good with my Harris bipod. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
VersaPod has developed some m1a specific mounts and bi-pods. Don't know much about them yet. Anyone else looking at them?

The VersaPod &/or Sadlak rail are the way to go for a reasonable priced but very solid bipod mounting surface.....

The crook that sold the "half moa" stock rails had a really good idea, I copied his design for my personal rifle.... it increases stock rigidity so much that the additional weight it adds compared to the VersaPod or Sadlak style it well worth it

·
Registered
314 Posts
VersaPod has developed some m1a specific mounts and bi-pods. Don't know much about them yet. Anyone else looking at them?
Just installed the VersaPod version tonight. Drilled out the rivets for the original sling mount, then put some Brad Hole Tee Nuts inside the stock and attached the mount to those. Only had to get the tee nuts because I ordered the wrong model mount. The other option has the threads in the mounts and the bolts go through the stock. Hopefully I'll get a chance to test it out this weekend. But initial impression is that it's rock solid.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is exactly what I'm wanting to do with my M1A Scout.

Would it still work with a SA Mossy Oak stock?

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Pics?

Curious which is more "sturdy", or http://sadlak.com/si_hd_front_rail.html
One of the advantages of the Sadlak Front Rail is that you use your original USGI sling swivel. The tail end elides under the rail and the mounting screws are installed down through the rail, the swivel tail, the stock and into the internal nutplate.

Give us a call if you have any questions we can answer

Sadlak Industries
860-742-0227 Ext 14

[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here we go. I bought the sling swivel stud straight from Harris :)

http://www.harrisbipods.com/M1A.html

That's what I wound up doing. Last Wednesday I pulled out the rifle to look at the situation again. I flipped it over to look at the fore stock and saw that hole and figured there had to be someone who makes a stud that fit there somewhere. I went looking online Friday and ordered it. It was in the mailbox when I got home from the range this afternoon (just my luck). I mounted a cheap bipod to it to check it out and it seems to work fine. Now I just need to get a decent bipod.

Thanks for all the replies.

danthman114....made me chuckle

1 - 16 of 16 Posts