M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 16 power SS for an M1A with the 4th gen Aluminum mount but there are no instructions on how to use and adjust the piece. Only the mounting instructions were included. I wanted to site in for 200 meters so do you use the dots on the vertical to shoot at greater distance. Do I zero the distance turrent to zero after sighting in for 200 meters? Do you also zero the windage also? I am new at this as you can probably tell. I'm used to my PU scope on a 91\30 MN which is one step above iron sights.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
If you have one, use a bore laser sight to get close to your zero. Next shooting trip, adjust both windage and elevation knobs to get zeroed at your preferred distance (200 meters it seems). I'm not sure but I'm guessing the SS scopes have zeroable knobs... probably a screw on the knobs you can loosen then rotate the knob to where it lines up showing zero on the knobs. Done.

Side note... be concerned if you have to use a lot of windage to get a zero. You may run out of windage adjustment on one side if this is the case. Usually there is an alignment problem with the mount when this happens. There are rings that can correct it but I personally prefer to have my mount on right.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The dots are called mildots, and are used for ranging a target. Buy a copy of Mildotmaster for more info. Their are three screw on the turrets, once you are zeroed at whatever range you want loosen the screws and remove the turret cap then replace with the zero in line. If you know your bullet drop you can covert to Mils and then use the Mildots as holdovers. I zero at 100 and then at 200. I use a ballistics calculator to guestimate my drop beyond two hundred and then confirm by firing. Each click is 1/4 MOA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I believe I can do it with what I have learned. Its just odd there wasn't much information with the scope. Now if only the Springfield mount will hold up and not fall off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts