M14 Forum banner

O-Ring Solution

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm taking apart the gas system on my M1A the other day, finally got the shims to make sure the gas lock properly indexs on the gas tube. And as I'm taking it apart I realized the O-ring on my plug is missing. No idea what happened to it. I just want to know some thoughts on if I should replace the Ring, because I can't seem to find just the O-ring anywhere. Maybe someone knows where I can find a replacement/ knows the measurement and where to order it. Or if I should buy a whole new plug and hope I get a new O-ring. Maybe even just run the rifle without it. Appreciate any input I can get.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
So I'm taking apart the gas system on my M1A the other day, finally got the shims to make sure the gas lock properly indexs on the gas tube. And as I'm taking it apart I realized the O-ring on my plug is missing. No idea what happened to it. I just want to know some thoughts on if I should replace the Ring, because I can't seem to find just the O-ring anywhere. Maybe someone knows where I can find a replacement/ knows the measurement and where to order it. Or if I should buy a whole new plug and hope I get a new O-ring. Maybe even just run the rifle without it. Appreciate any input I can get.
You need to get some form of training. you do know that the gas cylinder is to line up with the hole in the barrel . do you have a manual for the M1A or the M14.

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
Unlike whatever video game you learned about the M1A from, in the real world there isn't any O ring on the gas plug.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need to get some form of training. you do know that the gas cylinder is to line up with the hole in the barrel . do you have a manual for the M1A or the M14.
I totally agree, unfortunately I live in New Jersey, and I struggle to find people I trust with the platform, the nearest people i have found are all in Pennsylvania or upstate New York. Trying to find people I can meet around my work schedule is verydifficult. I only have the Springfield documents that don't go in depth with accuriazantion of the rifle. Only basic care/maintenance and a document about slam fires.

·
Registered
Scout Squad AA9126
595 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're the exact same O-rings that fit car muffler bearings- so I'd check your local auto parts store.

Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unlike whatever video game you learned about the M1A from, in the real world there isn't any O ring on the gas plug.
Definitely learned to love the M14/M1A through video games first I won't lie, and the history books later. Just watching Tonyben3 on YouTube and saw a ring on his plug and was wondering if I was gonna strip threads or something without the O ring as a shim

·
Registered
14,401 Posts
I totally agree, unfortunately I live in New Jersey, and I struggle to find people I trust with the platform, the nearest people i have found are all in Pennsylvania or upstate New York. Trying to find people I can meet around my work schedule is verydifficult. I only have the Springfield documents that don't go in depth with accuriazantion of the rifle. Only basic care/maintenance and a document about slam fires.
Where are you in NJ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
plenty in the garden state who know the platform. I’d watch Tony Ben’s YouTube videos on m14 assembly, disassembly, and maintenance if you want to start from ground up to learn.
That's exactly why I'm asking, saw what looks like a green ring on his standard plug and didn't see one on mine, not sure if it had it or not. Only taken the gas system apart once in the 6-8 months I've owned the rifle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No shims are required to ensure the gas cylinder lock aligns properly on the gas cylinder. The rear of the gas cylinder should have a clearance with the barrel.
I'm simply talking about how tight the gas lock should be when timing with the gas cylinder. Mine was definitely loose. I put a shim around the barrel, behind the front band to have the gas lock time correctly with the cylinder, also eliminated the rattle in my front band that had been around since factory new.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts