M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think there is supposed to be contact on the bottom of the stock ferrule with the front band.
I have none. I have a unitized gas cylinder on my lrb m-25 barreled action with a CMP
parts kit that I put together.
It sits in a oversized stock. Would bedding the stock correct relationship of the stock ferrule and the front band?

·
Registered
534 Posts
If the stock gets bedded correctly, yes, if done incorrectly, no, and it could end up worse (even in other areas) than what you have now (ie there could be side stresses bedded into the barrel/receiver).

Danny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It's odd that you don't have contact or "draw pressure" with the FB. If you have an older used stock, the wood probably got compressed over the years. I have bedded a couple stocks now using the "coat hanger" method. It's very effective way to bed the M14 and Garand rifle.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I believe it is better to unitize the gas cylinder assembly "after" the action has been bedded to a stock.

Is your stock new or used? Does it have a liner? How is the fit inside the liner, and on top where the side rails and heel contact the stock?

Is the ferrule new or worn? How about the front band, was it new or used, USGI or commercial? Same questions for the gas cylinder.

Pics would help.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
" Would bedding the stock correct relationship of the stock ferrule and the front band?"

Yes. It also has to be centered properly. Get a real M14/Garand smith to do it. Not the guy down the road.

And you probably wont get consistent accuracy without some pressure at the front band.

·
Registered
534 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I believe it is better to unitize the gas cylinder assembly "after" the action has been bedded to a stock.

Is your stock new or used? Does it have a liner? How is the fit inside the liner, and on top where the side rails and heel contact the stock?

Is the ferrule new or worn? How about the front band, was it new or used, USGI or commercial? Same questions for the gas cylinder.

Pics would help.
It would be nearly impossible to screw and glue or weld the band to the gas cylinder in the proper relationship after bedding has been done. It is best, and standard procedure, to bed the rifle to the stock with the pre-unitized gas cylinder installed on the rifle during bedding.

Danny

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It would be nearly impossible to screw and glue or weld the band to the gas cylinder in the proper relationship after bedding has been done. It is best, and standard procedure, to bed the rifle to the stock with the pre-unitized gas cylinder installed on the rifle during bedding.

Danny

Different thought processses. There was a thread awhile back called "unitizing in isolation". It was a good read. I suggest that you should read it.

http://m14forum.com/m14/122474-unitizing-isolation.html

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies I will get some pics up later. the stock is a big red that was new I purchased it here a few years ago. it looked like a action was never in the stock before.

The trigger lock up is tight not loose at all.

Gas cylinder was unitized buy krieger barrels.

I will check out that thread and read it.

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
The stock is not a "Big Red." It is the standard oversized stock that comes with most SAI factory models. The actual manufacturer varies as when it was made.
Yours has had the front ferrule opened up to NM configuration.

If the stock locks up tight, I would start by simply trying an ununitized gas cylinder and front band, to see if front lip contact is possible. If it is, tighten the gas lock with the front band in this position. Use shims if needed.

Glass bedding will "probably" solve this problem, assuming the smith doing it knows what problem he is trying to overcome. However, I only recommend bedding if the rifle is being regulated to range use.

Unitizing the gas cylinder after you see the relationship to the stock ferrule allows you to make sure the lip contacts the ferrule and is in the dead bottom center. Not all front bands or gas cylinders are indentical, so this allows you to try various combinations to achieve a perfect fit.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
The stock is not a "Big Red." It is the standard oversized stock that comes with most SAI factory models. The actual manufacturer varies as when it was made.
Yours has had the front ferrule opened up to NM configuration.

If the stock locks up tight, I would start by simply trying an ununitized gas cylinder and front band, to see if front lip contact is possible. If it is, tighten the gas lock with the front band in this position. Use shims if needed.

Glass bedding will "probably" solve this problem, assuming the smith doing it knows what problem he is trying to overcome. However, I only recommend bedding if the rifle is being regulated to range use.

Unitizing the gas cylinder after you see the relationship to the stock ferrule allows you to make sure the lip contacts the ferrule and is in the dead bottom center. Not all front bands or gas cylinders are indentical, so this allows you to try various combinations to achieve a perfect fit.
Is that how the bolt stop cutouts used to look or something? Like a half circle? I've never seen it like that, they're usually squared or rectangular.

Maybe its a stock off a chicom rifle?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks Handguard is clearanced its hard to see in the photo.
i made sure to clearance it. I have not put it in another stock yet
i just realized the issue will swap out stocks later but i do like
The heavy wood.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The heel sits nice on the stock believe it or not.
Front of stock ferrule does not touch front band.
i might give it a go at bedding it myself.
worst thing that happens is i learn something..

·
Registered
534 Posts
The heel sits nice on the stock believe it or not.
Front of stock ferrule does not touch front band.
i might give it a go at bedding it myself.
worst thing that happens is i learn something..
I don't really think that you can make it any worse than what it is, as long as you read up a little on how to use release agent and to clay things so that you don't mechanically lock the stock to the rifle. As long as you can get the stock off, you can grind/relieve the bedding and make another go at it if need be. Yes, you might learn something as well. Just keep in mind that your aim, as always, is to elevate and center the barreled receiver up against the stock ferrule.

Danny

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yea i will read up again on bedding i have the materials to do it.
I saw some good posts in this forum and others. I was planning
On doing it anyway so now i have a reason to do it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.