M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If you want to convert your M1A, do it. Most of us here prefer wood and steel but it's your rifle, do with it whatever you like.

My Army Nat.Guard bud, who would do anything NOT to buy an M1A, had a Ruger SR762 because he wanted a 7.62 AR style rifle. The rifle gave him feeding problems at first, I told him to leave his mags fully loaded for a week or so. It did then feed/eject properly.

Well the Ruger gave him the accuracy he wanted, around 1.5MOA with ball ammo but he said the felt recoil was too much for him and he sold it. Now he says he wants to buy an M1A, which he should have in the first place, but I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
I saw a guy this weekend that said his sr762 trigger was real bad/hard so he put a Geist elements in it. He also had some gel recoil buffer on it. He was pretty happy with it. It came with 3 page and a soft case and had back up sites too.

I never had problems with my Armalite AR10, it was one w/o a forward assist too. I bet Rock River Arms would make a decent 308 AR.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money.

Here is what worked for me. I wanted a great rifle. I wanted a m21 that was more accurate than they said was possible and I wanted a custom wood stock with a adjustable cheek riser. I spent a lot of money. More so than I probably should have spent, but I got the rifle I so desired. It was fun studying everything, picking the parts, measuring, fitting and just going hog wild.

Since it was built, it helped me win a match or two, but basically it has been for my own enjoyment. Took it hunting and while there wasn't a deer to be found, coyotes didn't fair too well by it. People admire it and kids really have a blast shooting it. It has been everything I could possibly hope for and then some. One of my crowning achievements in my collection.

It is my only 308. I do have a black rifle in 223. I like it also, but it is a black rifle. It doesn't have the soul of the m21 I built. Pick it up and it is cold, lifeless really. Pick up the m21 and the feel is different. The whole experience is different.

I've shot a lot of everything. Most of the black rifles on the market chambered in 308 I've probably shot at least once. They can be fun and for the most part practical in terms of functionality. Though be as it may, they just don't do it for me and probably never will. I didn't just put together a rifle. It is an heirloom meant for a very special person someday. A lot of love went into it, and it is that in which you'll never get from any black rifle no matter how good it might be.

·
Super Moderator
1,077 Posts
I have a brand new never been fired Sig 716 Patrol. It's black. It's still got the tags on it. I can't seem to find it in me to shoot the darn thing. Now my Garands and M14s? They are like old friends.....

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
When I meet someone whose put 5 to 10K through an AR style 308 without problems I'll be interested. I might be interested if I met someone who shot one for a year cleaning only the bore and chamber during that time. So far haven't met ANYONE fitting either circumstance.

Stay with the '14 pattern and don't worry if it'll work.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I saw a guy this weekend that said his sr762 trigger was real bad/hard so he put a Geist elements in it. He also had some gel recoil buffer on it. He was pretty happy with it. It came with 3 page and a soft case and had back up sites too.

I never had problems with my Armalite AR10, it was one w/o a forward assist too. I bet Rock River Arms would make a decent 308 AR.
They do, I like mine. Shoots way better than an M1A It is a 26" stainless bull barrell though so it's not really a fair comparison. Not at all a home defense or SHTF weapon. way too heavy

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I'll just point out that 7.62 AR pattern rifles are not standardized like the 5.56 versions.

A part from one manufacturer won't always fit anothers. Armalite and DPMS being a good example.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I'll just point out that 7.62 AR pattern rifles are not standardized like the 5.56 versions.

A part from one manufacturer won't always fit anothers. Armalite and DPMS being a good example.
Very true. Has anyone else noticed that probably 99% of aftermarket AR .308 parts are for the DPMS style/type rifle?

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
There are modern rifles that have that "soul" that has been referred to.

Not many of them.

The first time I held an SR 25 I got that feeling. This is a weapon of war.

I have been swapping between wood and ebr a lot and it's led me to try something new soon.

A scout is so much handier with a direct connect sure fire muzzle device and a USGI stock.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Feeding problems on the Ruger are about ammo more than the gun being sensitive. Adjust the gas key. The are 4 settings on the bad boy. My best friends Ruger762 eats every thing!

Dutch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.