M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were only a few M14 parts that were NM, and the Stock Ferrule was not one of them.

Beware of overpaying for a NM labeled part, the Ferule in question is a standard ferrule that has been opened up, there were opened up ferrules contracted by the military, but this has nothing to do with being NM. It has to do with modification for a Match Rifle as part of the process of making clearance around the gas cylinder. Installing the so called NM Ferule and not doing the stock clearance behind it, you have accomplished nothing more then wasting your money.

Ferrules that have been opened up and epoxied on the stock tennon are an aid to the further clearance of stock material around the gas cylinder.. It can help as a guide for the stock routing. Most ferules are opened up as an in-progress clearance after they have been epoxied on. So you end up with a open ferrule either way.

I mention this only because the unbelievable charge by adding the label NM... If the overcharge is worth it to you because it saves time and wear on the grinder, that is your call. For those that are on a budget don't get suckered into yet another NM part because some fast talking dealer tells you something he knows little about.. DISHOUT

·
"Death From Above"
11,922 Posts
Writing with my tail between my legs.

Hi Art this is the part I was speaking of. It is packaged and has an NSN number. Here is a picture of one wrapped and unwrapped with a regular one on the left. WHat are these parts? Seems as though they already have the NM mod done to them.

if you notice nowhere in the package does it say NM.
I found the last company that made them in the late 90's. They were out of california, I don't remember the name or town but they wanted an insane amount of money for just one. I managed to find a few for $30 each. Here is a listing I found on the internet, anyone want to buy one? I'll sell it for half price lol. Only kidding I am not parting with them.
http://www.alicorp.com/1005012711027.nsn

This is the one I was going to send you.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
It's a 15 minute job with a Dremel tool + long enough to let a coat of varnish dry on the newly-exposed wood. But if somebody wants to buy a ferrule that's already trimmed that's OK too. We had seen that packaging a while back, Bill Ricca maybe, it was a new deal to me.

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
I "think" the Army ordered some made that way in the 1980's or later. That is not set in stone, but I know some Reservists who got them through the supply system as late as the early 90's.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were no NM OPt Rod SPr. guides either

I don't remember who started, or when the issue guide was exchanged for a round shop made guide, but it was a good idea by someone.. Thank you who ever you are..

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
I don't remember who started, or when the issue guide was exchanged for a round shop made guide, but it was a good idea by someone.. Thank you who ever you are..
The Marine Corps started making them around 1974 or 75, but we did not come up with the idea. Can't remember who we stole that idea from, though it may have been the Army.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.