M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Sadlak NM Spring Guide a couple of weeks ago and decided it was time to install it. I had thought that my rifle just had a regular spring guide in it so this would be a good upgrade. Mike sent along one of his catalogs with the guide and when perusing the page on spring guides I discovered the guide that was in my rifle looks pretty close to the TRW NM guide pictured in Mike's catalag. What do you guys think?

By the way the Sadlak guide is first rate. Great product.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
That's basically how the military used to make spring guides for the match rifles. The drawings for that part are in the AMU manual on M14 NM rifle building.

They were made up in the shop by armorers. As I understand the history, that idea didn't come along until some years after SA and TRW had stopped making arsenal-new NM rifles, so technically that guide can't be a TRW part although it may have been installed on a TRW NM rifle.

Ted Brown and Art Luppino seem to agree, read here:
http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=90910

There are also a bazzillion commercial versions of those "NM" guides out there. Places like Sarco and Numrich used to sell them. Quality varies widely, so much so that a poor one can stop the rifle from functioning, or not allow magazines to lock in.

Looking at your pic, it appears that the tab on the end is a sloppy sheet metal stamping with rounded off edges, so I am going to guess that one is a commercial repro and not a high quality one. I have one just like it that I had in my M1A many years ago. Mine was too long and was a PITA to get in and out of the rifle. I could have trimmed some off the pointy end to fix it, but I got a Sadlak instead. MCORPS1

I think you have done a good thing by getting the Sadlak part to replace that one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts