M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit new on this forum but, have been reviewing good things here. I am considering a little bit here and there on my SA M1A standard on making it a bit more accurate. I thought that I would start with the "NM Op rod spring guide." There are two brands, Badger and Sadlak. Badger is a "drop-in" and Sadlak is not a "drop-in." They both sound good but I like to do things right the first time. So, what would you guys recommend and why?

·
Retired
4,769 Posts
I don't know where you heard the Sadlak isn't a drop in fit... not true.
Both Badger and Sadlak are top quality. Sadlak, being a forum sponsor, gets my nod. Great producs from great people.GI1

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sadlak gets my vote. Already in my full size and I have one ready to drop into my JRA CAR-14 when it arrives.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did say Sadlak was not a drop-in. I assumed that it was not a drop-in by "Brownell's" discription. Thank you though. That's good to know. What is or is there any significance between the two?

·
Retired
4,769 Posts
I did say Sadlak was not a drop-in. I assumed that it was not a drop-in by "Brownell's" discription. Thank you though. That's good to know. What is or is there any significance between the two?
To reduce drag or friction on the spring, Sadlak has 4 milled "flats" on their guide, where Badger has four flutes. Both are top quality guides.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As reading about the Sadlak, there is no welding. Thats a good thing. But, I can't find that about Badger. So far, as from the get go I had been leaning more towards Sadlak.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Badger vs Sadlak

I have the Sadlak and am happy with it. If cost is a concern, you may also find the Sadlak less expensive than the Badger.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Sadlak is a one piece unit. Personally I use nothing but sadlak spring guides. I have to look at brownells website now. They are definitly drop in, I droped them in five rifles so far. No fitting required. One thing I know about mike sadlak is his attention to detail. Here is an example. I recently purchased one if the new 20 MOA extended rails from LRB. If your not familiar these are the scope mount rails for the M25 receiver. The M25 receivers have a proprietary rail that sits on the top of the receiver mounted between two dovetails. These rails are made by sadlak for LRB. When I purchased it the otherday I noticed a number on the package. I didn't think it was a serial number so I asked what it was. The number is a measurement of the clearance between the two mating dovetails on the rail out to four digits .0000. This is the kind of attention to detail you get with a sadlak product. In addition, I know he also inspects his gas pistons with a jewlers loop. He takes QC to the next level not to mention Dee how typically answers the phone will bend over backwards to help you with questions about there products. Now if we could only talk him into making trigger groups!!!!! You won't regret getting one.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I have two old Sadlak NM spring guides (from when they first came out and had a special production run of 25), one I'm using the other is new in the wrapper. Aside from the finish wear the one I'm using shows no signs of wear. Mag lock up is good and positive, action is smooth... win win in my book. Oh, the one I'm using probably has about 3000 rounds on it.

I can't comment on Badger Ordnance's NM guide but I can only imagine it's top quality too considering their other products are.

Either one will suit your needs I'm sure.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a Sadlak, a drop in fit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have both an I can tell ya that both are top notch items.Both work equally well an both are drop in fits.You'd be very happy with either one.
Cheers

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The Badger Ordnance M14 operating rod spring guide is made from a single piece of AISI 4142 alloy steel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW!! You guys are great. Giving me your positive opinions on "Sadlak." Sorry Badger but, it looks like the majority is in Sadlak's favor. Perhaps I should also consider a new gas cylinder as well. Whats best? TiN coated or polished gas cylinder? Have any of you guys noticed any improvement on accuracy by using 7.62X51 (NATO), over the counter ammo or reloading your own ammo?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Sadlak that seems to function just fine. I do think it has smoothed out the action a bit compared to the original guide.

It has a parkerized like finish on it and I wonder why they didn't put a super slick finish on the stem like they do on their piston? Seems like that would also reduce the friction.

Brick

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,116 Posts
Accuracy & Spring Giudes

Match type spring guides have very little effect on accuracy, however they do smooth up the action which can be beneficial. Since the op rod is indirectly attached to the barrel via the op rod guide and the spring guide runs inside the op rod, any irrgular movement ( as in the spring snaking back and forth) effects the barrel in a detrimental way. Smoothing this action out imparts less vibration to the barrel and should result in somewhat better accuracy.

I wouldn't worry about the parkerized finish on these spring guides. The finish will smooth out with use as the spring rubs against it.

One of the big benefits of a match type spring guide is between the operators ears. Anything that makes the rifle run smooter is going to sooth our fractured minds.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have both an I can tell ya that both are top notch items.Both work equally well an both are drop in fits.You'd be very happy with either one.
Cheers
+1 on both working equally well. I also have 1 of each and like the feel of the Badger a little bit better, but you might as well flip a coin.

The Badger Ordnance M14 operating rod spring guide is made from a single piece of AISI 4142 alloy steel.
Thanks for confirming that - it's important.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts