M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am a new owner of some kind of m1a low ser # 15k. Its got a bit of stuff done to it for example NM sights and a bedded stock with a good number of what appears to be USGI parts. I heard all work was done by Springfield..

Im getting ready to shoot it sometime soon and wanted to make sure it was not going to be a wasted trip. I plan to scope it later on but want to use it open sight first.

The rear sight has windage knob marked NM MKB

The sight base is marked NM/2A

Has hooded rear sight aperture

The issue is when the elevation knob is fully seated it points to the 400 yd mark. I am assuming this is abbynormal and fully seated should be closer to the first - mark and it should take like 15 clicks to make the 200 yd mark. I dont know why the rear sight is no longer indexed with the marks on the elevation knob or if it ever was.

Should I do something about this?....if yes what?

Thanks

-Gun

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
All the work may or may not have been done by Springfield. There were a number of quality gunsmiths in that era tuning the M1A.

Since it was most likely setup for across the course they would have been fired at 200, 300 and 600 yd (most likely but who knows). It may never have been indexed to the knob. Shooter may have marked it himself. I pay no attention to the numbers, I mark clicks from the bottom for my dope. You can check and see if the bottom teeth on your aperture have been ground flat to allow the aperture to go lower and avoid false clicks. See where bottom is at 100 yd and go for it.

Reactions: GunJam

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess my main concern what that it was going to shoot high at 100 yds. Is there a way of telling if its simply not indexed to the dial or if the rear aperture is obstructed / not reaching its true bottom???

Thanks again!

-Gun

·
Registered
851 Posts
Run it all the way down and see if the hood hits the base. If it does loosen the screw on the knob once u get a 200 yard zero and set it to 200. If it doesnt u need to bevel the base of site rack

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Typically, having the elev UP from the lowest position about 5-10 clicks will be 'on big paper' at 100 yards.
When you get the elev and windage adjusted for 100 yards, CAREFULLY count the clicks as you lower the elev knob (move it ccw), and count the click for windage to center the hash marks on the sight base & receiver. Then WRITE THEM DOWN -
e.g. 100y prone 8E 3R

There WILL be slight differences in the setting depending on your shooting position, so don't be surprised - write them too.

The distance setting on the elev knob needs to be adjusted for each rifle, and most target shooters don't bother, because the setting changes depending on ammo, position, etc. Just 'count clicks' and write down your info so you can find it next time.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
When you initially zero the rifle, keep the rear windage set at the center hash mark and move your front sight left or right as needed. You will need a 7/64 allen wrench to loosen/tighten the front sight.

As for elevation, there are too many variables regarding ammunition and how you want the POA/POI relationship.

When using M80 ball ammo, the Army had you start off at 12 clicks up for a 250 battlesight zero ( just under 2" high on a 25 meter range), and make necessary adjustment from there.

Once you figure out what load and what distance you want to typically shoot at, count the number of clicks to bottom out the sight. Loosen the elevation screw until it flops around, set the proper number to the tick mark, then tighten the screw. If you don't bottom out with the same number of clicks, try again. RNGR2

FM 23-8 has the intructions. It's sold at every gun show, also available on line.

·
Registered
238 Posts
...The distance setting on the elev knob needs to be adjusted for each rifle, and most target shooters don't bother, because the setting changes depending on ammo, position, etc. Just 'count clicks' and write down your info so you can find it next time...
I just count clicks, I don't care what the knob says, I can't read it anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent thanks for your help guys.

I really only plan to use it for 200yds or less and 90% of the time 100yds or less as I do plan to scope the rifle so the irons will act as a back up but they do need to dialed in an reliable! I wont worry about the numbers and Ill make sure to get it very close windage wise by aligning the front sight first before using any windage adjustment.

thanks again

-Gun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts