M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
I can't say either way without it being cleaned up, oiled and being provided higher resolution photos of the markings. Also does the base have casting peel??? Surface of USGI versions have machining marks and the later ones seem to be quite smooth. They're milled, not cast. There are a few late USGI cast versions but the NM/2A markings are screen printed on.

These are the late cast variety:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Zooming in with the I pad it looks like Hammonje's first and last pics. Now don't get me wrong, I'm new to these and was lucky enough to find a complete one last winter for my M1A .Others will no better after you scrub it up a bit. Dan

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
I have to say the pictures need to be much better before it can be determined if real or not. Please use a contrasting background and enlarge. Jasons pictures are ideal for identification.

Based on the pictures you provided, I'm thinking after market. Disclaimer:don't hold me to this.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
It looks good too me however I would like a close up with good light looking straight down on top of the ears If there are little circles L/R near the ears, that's from the casting/MIM and that's a repo base.

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
Phil, what leads you to believe this is legit? Look at the NM/2A and how its stamped nothing like hammons, nothing. Nothing like the one I have. I am almost certain based on the new pictures it is chinese or a knockoff from some other entity. The milling marks, look more like cast marks to me.

MTCs, YMMV!

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
I would love to have Hueygunner look at all the bases posted. IIRC what he told me is that the drawing calls for 1/16th inch numbers and letters roll marked onto the base,,,meaning that all letters and numbers will be in a straight line and equally spaced. Some of the above look like the characters were individually stamped.

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
As we all know drawing are one thing and real life is another. They will vary based on the person doing the work. The defining factor on A&S's is that the numbers and letters look to be stenciled.

No one person knows it all, not Bill or Jeff. Got into an arguement on CMP forum with a gentleman selling two SA. bolts, I told him that they were not SA. but rather SAI. bolts. His responce was that Jeff(hueygunner) had told him they were USGI and go to go. Well long story short, they turned out to be SAI. recall bolts, NOT usgi!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try to take some better pics. I can find no casting lines anywhere on it. It has very pronounced (milling?) lines/circular on the sides of each ear and they are faint machining lines not the bottom. It was sold to me as gi. It came with a nm 13455 marked wind age knob and wce marked pinion.

·
Super Moderator
11,174 Posts
Phil, what leads you to believe this is legit? Look at the NM/2A and how its stamped nothing like hammons, nothing. Nothing like the one I have. I am almost certain based on the new pictures it is chinese or a knockoff from some other entity. The milling marks, look more like cast marks to me.

MTCs, YMMV!
The first set of pictures were done under better lighting and that was what I was going with, as far a machining I have seen some very pretty looking sights and some that were done with old tooling so they had that not so polished look before they were finished.

The pictures that Ham posted are originals and have there original finish, The first rifle pictured is my old stick, as far as the markings go I've seen all kinds that we NM/2A, NM-2A, NM-2 some were marked NM on the right side and NM/2A on the left, so that isn't a very good tell all trait too go with as there were many NM/2A base venders.. Hams pic's show a good selection. The down side is that there were many unknown base makes but windage knobs were almost always marked.

Too the best of my knowledge only SA made a forged NM/2A bases that's why there so rare. Every one else used a casting and then did there finish machining, that's why I was asking about the circles between the ears, bad repo bases have a large visible dot on each side between the ears. USGI cast bases don't show this there better machined.

FWIW, my .02

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.