M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
The NM spring guide is thicker. Stocks are usually thicker up front, the ferrule had simmering done to it as well. Springs are springs.

·
Registered
10,550 Posts
A standard spring guide is a flat piece of steel with holes in it, to allow for mud and sand inside the operating rod.

The National Match guide is a round piece of steel that forces the spring to contract and expand evenly. It leaves no room for debris.

The Sadlak style guide is a round rod with a few flats milled onto it. The spring sill operates evenly, but there is a little room for debris. It is a good compromise of accuracy and reliability.

National Match springs are usually a little stiffer to allow for the long range loads used in matches.

The National Match stock ferrule has an oval shaped hole at the bottom so that it cannot contact the gas cylinder.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Some folks say if you want to sell an AR part call it "Tactical" and if you want to sell a M1A/M14 part call it "NM"

Every time I hear the term NM or National Match I think Caveat emptor

That being said main difference is a standard USGI Spring Guide is a stamped flat bar and a NM one is a round rod, that may or may not be fluted. The Sadlak one is about as good as it gets in my book.

·
Administrator
17,196 Posts
Well explained KurtC.

DI5

1 - 9 of 9 Posts