M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NM M1a from SA with NM sights. I have a blurred sight picture at 100 yards and even worse at 200. I have tried using my prescription glasses and non prescription ones with the same results. I was shooting my CMP M1 Garand with the standard sights and actually shot better than the M1A, with the same glasses. My question, should I switch my M1A NM aperture to the standard one. I am trying to avoid putting on a scope.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The sight parts would interchange between the two rifles. Count the clicks to bottom for each combination of parts, so re-installation is easy. And write it down!

·
Eye Master
4,121 Posts
What you want to do is get the correct lens. It is critical that the lens you use be around +0.5 diopters stronger than your distance vision. With Dist vision glasses alone, your front sight post will be blurry. With a reading prescription, your target will be blurry. You need to hit the lens power in between.

What is your distance prescription? If you know it, I can help you figure out the math, and I can recommend some options that will make you say 'Wow!' once you look through them.

Art

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
A NM aperture might be 'dimmer' than a standard one, but if there is enough light the 'sharpness' shouldn't be a problem.

What size in the NM aperture - the hood is probably marked either 520 or 595 ?

Also, a NM front sight is narrower than a standard one, that might also be a consideration.

Try looking thru the hood at a distant object without using the front sight - how is the sharpness that way? Then, add in the front sight and see if there is a difference.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your quick reply. I am planning range time in 9 days and will take up your advice.
Art, I am digging through my vision file to find what prescription I am using with the ray-bans. I also had some insert bifocals made for ESS shooting glasses,RX frames but have a problem with the nose piece. When I find more info I will Let you know. Oh yeah, I am due another eye exam next month so everything could change.

Once again thanks.

P.S. - I am still new to this posting stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.