M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Socom came to me with few rounds spent and from a friend and gunsmith that knows stuff. The rifle has Boyds stock, unitized gas system, bedded, trimmed front sight and M1a aperture for the rear. Two things left undone that I plan to finish: truing brake to the crown and NM solid guide rod. The shim kit is on the way. My guy said he tried a solid NM guide rod and it bunched up the recoil spring. Question: What NM guide rod works best in a Socom. Thanks. It's great having friends that know more than you do.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I use a Sadlak N.M. spring guide in my Socom 16.
It is a quality product, and one of the first upgrades I did to my rifle.

Glenn

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
There have been a few reports here that sometimes SAI leaves the inside of the op rod roughly machined. It works with a standard spring guide, but when adding one of the solid NM style spring guides it causes to spring to bind and grind on the rough machining inside the op rod. Folks have fixed it by polishing the inside of the op rod to deburr it. If you get binding with an NM style check that first.

The Sadlak is a really nice piece.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
If you have a C&R license then they are only $31 and change from Brownells.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When customers run into that problem we usually recommend that they use a small dowel rod and fine emery cloth to know down the burrs as 2336USMC mentioned. This, combined with a little usage to break it in, will most always take care of the problem. Give us a call if you would like to discuss it. We're always here! 860-742-0227

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I just installed the Sadlak rod in my Socom. at first it did have a "zipper" feel when operating the bolt/op rod. But...after a few rounds down range, problem resolved itself. The dowel with sandpaper also sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are great. I'll get the Sadlak and check out the interior of the op rod. Ask a question before you go to bed and have the answer when you wake up.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
There have been a few reports here that sometimes SAI leaves the inside of the op rod roughly machined. It works with a standard spring guide, but when adding one of the solid NM style spring guides it causes to spring to bind and grind on the rough machining inside the op rod. Folks have fixed it by polishing the inside of the op rod to deburr it. If you get binding with an NM style check that first.

The Sadlak is a really nice piece.
I'll give another + to the post above. Had that problem on one of my M1As with a USGI op rod. Inspected the ID of the op rod and rough machining marks were evident. The dowel rod/fine sandpaper/hand drill trick took care of the problem. slick as silk operation now. dozier

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
My guy said he tried a solid NM guide rod and it bunched up the recoil spring.
I've heard that the Chinese made Norinco M1A rifles are known to have this problem from time to time, evidently their op rod springs can vary out of spec. If he doesn't have Norinco he might have a problem with the op rod spring.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
polishing

For internal polishing of the op rod (or other parts), I have taken a cleaning rod section w/the tip intact. I attach a strip of emery cloth thru the eyelet, and put this in my variable speed drill. Less elbow grease.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Socom ain't taking the solid spring guide

Ordered Sadlak solid spring guide today and took out SAI original guide. I swapped it with solid N.M guide from my Devine. Pull charging all the way back. Sticks. Requires a good nudge to release. I took HarleysToo suggestion and wrapped emory cloth around cleaning rod and did variable speed drill for 30 minutes. Polished it good but no change. I'm, thinking the bend in this op rod won't ever take a solid spring guide and/or the circumference of the N.M. guide too large and/or hole in charging handle too small. I'm thinking MasterGunner may have a suggestion and may call there tomorrow. I'm not disabled since the original SAI guide works, just confused.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Some SAI receivers also have a problem where the groove in the receiver that the spring guide sits in wasn't machined deep enough. This means that the spring guide sits too low and is not perfectly parallel to the op rod, so as the op rod moves back the spring and guide will bind. I have an SAI M1A with this problem.

Solution is to either have a GOOD M14 smith machine the groove in the receiver to the correct depth, or- what I did- carefully file some material off the top of the tab on the spring guide so that it seats deeper into the (shallow) groove in the receiver. Tread carefully here though, as this also affects how the magazines lock in since they lock to the rear of that tab on the spring guide.

I followed the principle of "always modify the cheaper part first" and it works fine for me. At worst, you have to buy another spring guide.

Just another possibility to check for.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fitting solid guide rod

That's a good suggestion 2336. I'm waiting on delivery of my Sadlak guide rod. That, and the return of my gunsmith buddy. I put the original guide back in the socom for now. An aside, I compared three op rods. All bent a little differently. The more radical twists will come off the rifle easily while I have one with hardly any twist that takes 10 minutes of struggle to get off receiver.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sadlak guide fixed problem

Sadlak spring guide received and installed today. Sticky op rod problem disappeared. Still a bit curious about all op rods being different. Guess it's because all receivers are different but the op-rod variance seems extreme compared to the small differences in receivers. Probably worth another post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts