M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Time to measure up a NM ferrule and head to my buddies machine shop. I'm sure he has something laying around
They definitely had that ground to match the profile of the ferrule. I like it ! DI5

Wish I still had a cutter grinder available where I work.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
A rasp, Dremel, deburring tool and 15 minutes get the job done. Not as pretty, but does what the mod is supposed to do.

Reactions: ajgray3

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
http://youtu.be/AlPVFcFIpPo

great customer service starting at 28 sec mark! other than that it is a cleaner job..
Yup, they obviously haven't learned yet that calling their competitors and fellow smiths names, unsolicited, makes SEI the a holes, and fools.
I'd say great work, but their words won't let me endorse them, but we all know they don't care, nor have the time to care. Funny how they have the time to make and post a video though, and to what end? To call others names, or is this really an attempt to get customers from fools?

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,200 Posts
By the time they set the mill up to do the job I would have it done with a 80 grit sandpaper cartridge in my die grinder and the SP cartridge only cost me .50 cent and it don't " Look Like CENSOREDGI"

Casey

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
They should have just put this image up instead.

CENSOREDGI

Warning
There will be no use of the "F" word in any form; in titles or bodies or pictures in any threads on this Gun Board from now on.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
With todays technology making a form cutter to do that would not be all that expensive. There are places on the web where people are bidding to do work. People with big money tied up in machinery that are desperate to keep them running are doing work at or below cost. Fiberglass is not hard and it is not taking a huge amount of material out. If you had a contract to do large quantities of these it would make good business sense to do this. I'm curious about the set up. They probably use a fixture that holds the stock out on the end rather than what is in the video. Just guessing thou and not criticizing. Please don't sue me.
You could make a "fly cutter" that would do this. Lay a ferrule down on a piece of paper. Trace around the outside of it with a pencil. Use a piece of flat stock and hand grind the contour matching it to the pattern you traced. Then weld it to a shaft. You might have to make two of them and do it in two passes, but probably could do it in one pass if you stabilized the stock well enough.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
A rasp, Dremel, deburring tool and 15 minutes get the job done. Not as pretty, but does what the mod is supposed to do.
While this will work, if you were trying to sell the job to an Army General a video like this would make a much better impression. Plus if you had a contract for say 5000 of these it would get old quick doing them by hand. With the right set up you can have a low skilled operator crank them out in a few seconds each.

All of this makes sense and I like the way the finished job looks. I don't understand the offensive comment. I wonder how many stocks they modified by hand before they bought the tool? GI3 So last week they were fools like the rest of us? GI1 Again purely speculation on my part with no evidence to back it up. I didn't even hear it from a reliable source.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts