M14 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=197447359

It's actually for sale too (no reserve).

We need senator Joe McCarthy now more than ever.
CIB3
I'm interested in why you think that is a NM rifle. It can't be from the description or the pictures. Nothing shows the first evidence of it being a NM. In fact there isn't any evidence that the barrel is marked appropriately. However it is one of Elmers receivers. It is definitely not glass bedded.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I sent an e-mail to the seller on 10-28-10 asking him if there were any address markings on the barrel of M1A serial number 000117. I've not received a response to date.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Likewise, no response to my barrel marking inquiry either. I have to assume the lack of response means it is not marked, which drops the value significantly in my opinion.

Cass

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Well it's got better than a day and half to go. Considering it's in the mid 2 grand range, I'll wager it takes a hair over 3 grand to buy it. Any takers?

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
final price

Final bid winning value $3225 plus shipping. Not bad for something that probably had no barrel markings at all. Wow.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Yeah, 24 Bids, But Only 10 Actual Bidders!

And If You Drop Off the Lowest 3 That Maybe Hoped They Could Grab It for $1500 Bucks Or So...

It's Really Just 7 Guys or So 'Determined' to Have A 'Devine'!

'Auction Fever' Really Can Take Over, 'Even On' An Internet Auction!

It's Like...Well, These Other Guys, Some of Whom Have Maybe 200, or 300 or 500!--- 'Buys' on GunBroker...Heck, They Are Right In There Slugging Away---It MUST Be Worth $2,000 and $2,500, and $3,000!?

Interesting, But I'm Not Sure What Really Is The..."Lesson Learned"?

GI8GITENGI6

CAVman in WYoming

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Interesting, But I'm Not Sure What Really Is The..."Lesson Learned"?

GI8GITENGI6

CAVman in WYoming
I think one lesson they are going to learn is that if you can't confirm the barrel info as being a real "Devine" rather than one of the receivers that the Reese Bros acquired in the buy and sold much later, you may not be able to recoup your money. If it is a real Texas M1A and not just a Texas receiver then it probably sold about where it should. At least based on my experience it did. It's right close to what I expected.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I suspect it was a Georgia rifle, or Reese. The feller fairly snubbed me when I sent a bbl mark request. SN 117 is a cool number, but I believe that was the only thing that rifle had going for it.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Sometime around '82/'83 the Reese Brothers sold out their stock of genuine "Devine" receivers. They were going for about $400 each when a standard early receiver in the 20,000 range of their own making was going for $115 or so, if memory serves me right. They sent out fliers to gunsmiths and FFL holders like myself and I looked over the list of "Devine" receivers. At the time I owned a "Devine" and I noticed that there were some very low 2 digit numbers up to those in the mid 4 digits and one could buy whatever serial number one wished that was on the list. I think this may be one of those unless of course it does in fact have the barrel markings and the guy who was selling it just didn't know what anyone was talking about when they asked. It was a pawn shop by the way. He was also selling a Springfield BM59 in another auction for $500 without a magazine as a modified M1 in 7.62 so I doubt he knows as much as he should to be selling firearms with no return privilege. Anyway I suspect it was a gun that was assembled on either one of those. The Georgia guns that were built for Elmer were returned to him and had barrel markings. I base that on having seen and taken apart 4 different rifles that are NM, owning one of them myself. The ones he sent in trade would probably have been assembled into match rifles since those guys specialized in that. Although that is just supposition. I do believe that the price he realized is probably what a good "Devine" non match will probably bring in these times. But who knows. They are only worth what someone will give you for them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re:

Woah! sold for 3,225.oo thats a big no go fo me. Even if I could put my hands on it first, no way GI8

1 - 17 of 17 Posts