M14 Forum banner

NIW M6 Bayonet?

13389 17
I found these at the surplus store I work at, and decided to pick them up. After a bit of research, I have failed to find any information on an M6 packaged with the scabbard in this manner. Is this truly a NIW bayonet, or has it been repackaged?

Label states:

FSN NOMENCLATURE COND PKG LVL
9 70 1005 722 3097 BAYONET KNIFE 1 EA
Date QTY
USARJ FORM 1364
7 OCT 69 ITEM IDENTIFICATION ST

Any information would be appreciated. If they are NIW, will sell one and likely keep the other. Thanks!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now you know why I am posting here. I was hoping somebody would be able to tell me what's inside so I dont have to open the darn thing up. If nobody knows, I might just have to split one open... Really hate the idea of ruining the packaging of something that hasnt seen the light of day since it first left the factory over 40 years ago!

· Registered
2,449 Posts
Here are some facts about packaging:

There was a Federal Stock Number for the Bayonet.
There was a different Federal Stock Number for a Bayonet packed with a Scabbard.
This FSN is just the M6 Bayonet, without the scabbard.
Later on the Bayonet FSN's changed from 1005 to 1095.

This is a repack for inspection.
Items repacked are servicable and not always new. It could be used or new.

Here is what a contract pack will look like. It is probably the first contract.

· Registered
2,449 Posts
Pros and Cons:

Open it and you can see if it is used or new. If it is used, you will loose some value. If it is new, you can get into the new price area. The problem is many fakes are looking quite good. Most of the market cannot tell the difference.

Your packaging helps verify it is real. If you open it up, keep the packaging.

That Milpar shown is beautiful. Notice the finish. Most of Columbus Milpars will look like that.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. I think I am just going to keep both for now... I consider myself somewhat of a militaria collector, and even though they may not be NIW, they are still pretty darn cool.

· Registered
2,449 Posts
The packaging covers the scabbard with the metal tips. The maker was Pennsylvania Working Home for the Blind, Phila, Pa.

That company had 2 contracts I could recover and made a zillion scabbards. The company also had contracts for the same type scabbards with different initials because the name changed.

Earliest contract I found was 1966. I have information, but cannot yet confirm it, that the contracts continued to be issued into Fiscal Year 1968.

Your contract is Fiscal Year 1967.

· Registered
324 Posts
It cracks me up to read posts at various board sites - people asking where to find NOS M14 bayonets, when in fact if you look around gunbroker, there are quite a few people selling NOS examples for about $55.00 without scabbard.

I scored two with early 1960's contract dates. One is an Imperial, the other a Milpar. Both are perfect. It was my call to open the packaging and enjoy these blades. Not only are the finishes perfect, the Imperial is a real showpiece.

Some would say that I ruined history. The light of day, etc. There was a small chance that they rusted out over the years, but the manufacturer sealed out the moisture and these made it. I was also concerned that someone is not repacking old junk, as I got stuck with a crappy M5 Garand Bayonet that was packaged in a recycled envelope.

However, I will not put them in scabbards, that will be the death of the finish on the blades. Yes, I have them in the original wrappers.

· Registered
2,447 Posts
I have to agree. Seen the same things. There are a lot of phony bayonets out there too. Some are OK as far as quality goes and others are pure junk. I really feel that the M6's and the early (Vietnam period) M7's are getting near to drying up. Especially the nice quality examples. The earlier M6's (Aerial, and AN), don't show up much these days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.