M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the eventual set-up will be a Springfield Loaded M1A in a McMillian M3A Stock with a rear lug installed and property bedded be an M1A Smith into the stock.
I currently have a Sadlak Airborne mount on the rifle and it is in the Springfield Polymer Stock for now.

I'm struggling between the ....

Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50 at 31oz

Do I need 15x with this platform after the M3A install and unitizing of the gas cylinder how accurate will the gun be??

or
the

Nightforce Compact 2.5-10x32 at 20oz

Low Light gathering ability (Hunting) of the 32mm scope?

I'm trying to keep the weight of the rifle as low as possible as I'm planning on a duel roll of Deer Hunting with the longest shot being 350 yards.

And I would like to use the rifle in a few Precision Tactical Matching hitting movers at 300 and 600 yards for the fast follow-up shots.

Any recommendations from the M14 / M1A guys would greatly be appreciated as I'm new to the platform and mostly use Precision Bolt Action Rifles and Plastic Guns......

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Nightforce Compact 2.5-10x32 at 20oz
That would be my choice and as a matter of fact I have one sitting on a rifle and it is flawless. My only regret is that it is SFP instead of FFP. But I only got hurt with movers under 100 yds

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
If you are worried about weight the mcmillan is not for you. Great on the target range but a pig everywhere else. The boyds walnut stock your loaded comes in is a fine candidate for a bedding job and weighs less too. However it is not as comfortable on the range. There is no free lunch with these rifles unfortunately.

After bedding and unitizing expect about 1.5MOA accuracy when you do your part. If you go out and shoot say 4-5rd groups it will be a genuine challenge to keep them all that size. Check out the 1.5MOA challenge thread to see what I mean.

The 2.5-10x42 nightforce is the one you are looking for. It is about the same weight as the x32MM model but has 2 color illumination and a side parallax focus. Call up europtic or sportoptics, tell them you heard about them on sniper's hide and ask about that model.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The 2.5-10x42 nightforce is the one you are looking for
That is a very good call too

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I own both.

for a one time and done, the 2.5-10x32. The 3.5-15 is much larger///more weight, mine was bought for a 14, but moved to a chassis bolt gun.

USO 1.8-10 will be going on my optic M1A

·
Registered
1,496 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I had a 2.5-10X32 and regret selling it for the F1. I'm also not a fan of the X42 as it has a parallax adjustment. I don't think it's needed with a 10X max and I never needed it on my X32. It's just another thing to be worried about.

Reactions: Bamban

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much to all of you for your comments.....

For the price savings I think I'm going to try and find a 2.5-10x32 as the biggest negative in my mind is the low light capability but I have other optics w/ 56mm, objectives that I can use if need be.

Once again I appreciate everyone weighting in......

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I have a NF 2.5-10x32mm on my JP LRP-07. It's the rig I run when teaching my Guerilla and Urban Sniper courses. I've used that scope in extremely lowlight conditions with outstanding success, including engaging birthday candles and "itty bitty" chemlights at night.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
If you get a chance to look at a weaver tactical they make a great 2x-10x 3 mm ffp illuminated.

At around 700$street price it's a good deal and it had a nice ret.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been in contact with a gentleman in Wyoming that owns Heart Mountain Precision Machining.

I plan to send everything to him once I get the stock looking forward to seeing how accurate the platform will be.

I plan on adding a rear lug bolted through the stock
McMillian M3A in GAP Camo
Gas System Unitized
Trigger Re-build
Bedding Job

I plan to do a big write-up after it is complete comparing 100 yard and 200 yard groups of the stock gun vs the non-stock gun.

Stay Tuned....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Do you really need to spend that much money to shoot good?

When I got my M1A match with a 3 gen mount I put a USED 6 X 18 USA Redfield on it (1980s), 150$ USD. It shot one FAT hole with no fliers using commercial ammo at 100 yds. (the whole mag). It liked UMC FMJ 150gr.

The mount is great if you do not take off/on. If so then expect a 1-3" off , but same diameter group.

What will a Nightforce improve on my old Redfield, that has taken many rounds for many years and shoots great?

These scopes cost more than my Nelson build Springfield M1A match new!!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts