M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, so far, I have waited two days to clear a NICS check done through the Oregon State Police Firearms Division and I see my request is number 2453 of 3960. And the wait goes on...

Back in March they said there may be some delays due to a heavy demand for back ground checks. I don't know how any business can expect to survive if they cannot deliver due to delays. The three day federal maximum doesn't seem to apply in Oregon. I'll have to check on that. The OSP stopped accepting phone calls and now only accept applications through the net. It's impossible to reach them.

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My customer has been through the nics system several times and always gets approved. He is also a C&R licensee. According to the OSP they are running a little over 3900 checks right now and we are number 2185 in the que. It looks like it will take all week.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Hi,
First thing needs to be done, is get rid of that Governor (ess?)
tumblr_ox2b3oPqfe1rlo6pko1_500.jpg

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
The system here in WA for pistols and assault rifles is a 10 business day wait. Clearance is done by the state now and not NICS since the passage of I-1639, the insidious voter approved new jangle of laws. If after 10 days the dealer does not have a clearance, the gun is delivered.

·
Eye Master
3,805 Posts
I never got a clear answer on why some people are delayed. I have heard hypotheses, based on you having a similar name, but never proof that was the case. After all, if it were, anyone named Smith, or Brown would get delayed every time. People named Manson or Bundy would be totally screwed.

I get delays - if the FBI does not have data, and need to reach out to state or county level people to find out what the details were from something in your record, it can take those clerks a couple of days to pull data and respond, especially in recent, or ongoing cases (you were arrested, but have not been found guilty, and/or the verdict has not been uploaded tothe Federal database ... which could take a year in a slow case).

Funny story: Senator Ted Kennedy was on the 'no fly' list, and always got hassled by the TSA. Seems some bank robber had used the alias Kennedy, so he was on the 'secret list'. Of course, being a senator, he knew the Secretary of Transportation, so a phone call got his important case resolved in a hurry. But the rest us us 'common folk' are not so lucky. If you get on the secret TSA list, you are basically screwed with no due process.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I find the same scenario here in WI. I've run a BG check on a 4473 for a long gun, got put on delay. Subsequently I ran the same individual a day later l for a handgun with our STATE HG BGC system here in WI, got an instant approval. I was able to add the LG NICS request to the State form and transfer it immediately along with the handgun. Finally did get an approval 3 days later from NICS (weekend days involved). My last 4 NICS requests went delay. ALL previous clients with never an issue before getting approved. System is not working well.........

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently the problem is related to the shear number of NICS requests going through the OSP firearms check system. This morning my request is number 1498 on their list to do. They seem to be running about 400 to 450 checks a day. This system sucks! That and we have to pay $10 for each check. The feds do it for free (more or less) and the state uses the same free federal NICS system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts