M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When the new receivers and bolts start coming out, building an all Smith Ent. M14 is the plan. After having a dozen M1A's and two custom rifles built, I know what I do and don't want now.

Don't want:
1) Heavy Wt. barrel or GI contour
2) Bedded Action
3) Turner AWS sling
4) Bulky Rings
5) Synthetic or steel stocks
6) Bipods
7) Traditional M14 Flash hider

Do Need:
1) 22" Medium wt. NM 1:10 four groove, unlined barrel
2) All parts hammer forged.
3) All metal heat treated and cryo'd
4) Attractive straight grain walnut stock
5) Vortex flash suppressor with castle nut.
6) All NM modifications on rifle except bedding
7) Welded unitized gas cylinder
8) ARMS throw lever rings
9) GDI M14 mount
10) Leupold Mark 4 scope with custom BDC
11) M1 Garand OD sling
12) CMI magazines
13) FGMM SMK ammo

Simplicity is beauty.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is Smith Enterprise building receivers again?

I might be intrested.... I'm looking at possible new build or sending my SAI into Smith to do a overhual and make sure its good as can be.... I'm not totally set on this... last time I talked to Smith Enterprise they told me if I haven't had problems with my SAI its most likely good to go....

But pending on life curve balls and stuff... I might be intrested.

Regards, Madog

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Have gone thru a few m14 and M1a rifles. I am now down to 2 and don't have any plans for another. I doubt you will see a group buy from SEI here because of past events.

It is good that you know what you want in your next build.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There was a group buy started here before SEI left the scene. More than a few guys signed up for one of the new receivers.

No word on whether they intend to honor that now that they have parted ways with the Forum.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Anyone else had sub par customer service from SEI?

Its almost as if they don't really want the business of the public.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok--well I did not mean to jump into any politics, as I was not aware of the situation. I have read the thread now supplied by Blacktail and the post from Hawk. Thank you. My only thoughts are that it's an unfortunate rift for only a few bucks. My advice to Cepilot, having used is excellent services, are apologize for the misunderstanding and pay the small fee. This forum helps him make good money and we need his services. Why jeopardize that over a shadow principle?

In saying that, my original post remains unfazed. I am concerned about the rifle and scoring hits, nothing else.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I was wondering what you didn't like about the bedded action. Just curious. I know it needs touching up periodically, is it just a pain to maintain? I know it prevents you from taking the receiver out of the stock frequently, is that the issue?

just wondering, as I have a bedded rifle GI2
The other requests seem obvious, but the bedding threw me off.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Weren't the SEI receivers marked "forged" were milled from bar stock or plate rather than drop forged like the USGI and LRB Arms units?
Correct. The new ones are also milled from bar stock.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I was wondering what you didn't like about the bedded action. Just curious. I know it needs touching up periodically, is it just a pain to maintain? I know it prevents you from taking the receiver out of the stock frequently, is that the issue?

just wondering, as I have a bedded rifle GI2
The other requests seem obvious, but the bedding threw me off.
Looking at the specs it looks like he's going for a battle rifle setup with a bit of accuracy instead of a full blown SMR/DMR setup like what you have.

Personally I'd still bed it since a worn down bedded rifle is usually still more accurate than an unbedded rifle. Strip it down and clean as often as you like and don't get sucked into the never break it down group...

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Ok--well I did not mean to jump into any politics, as I was not aware of the situation. I have read the thread now supplied by Blacktail and the post from Hawk. Thank you. My only thoughts are that it's an unfortunate rift for only a few bucks. My advice to Cepilot, having used is excellent services, are apologize for the misunderstanding and pay the small fee. This forum helps him make good money and we need his services. Why jeopardize that over a shadow principle?

In saying that, my original post remains unfazed. I am concerned about the rifle and scoring hits, nothing else.
Somehow I missed ths thread.....

The short of it is..... it's not the issue with cepilot that got SEI the boot. It was the game that they attempted to play with me and the manner in which they chose to do it that got them the boot. Whether cepilot apologizes or not, won't make any difference in the matter.

There was never a "group buy" on SEI receivers that was approved or held on this forum. The only thing that happened was that SEI was creating a list of those that would be interested in purchasing a receiver when they were ready.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hawk thanks for that clarification.

Triggernick, No Expert seems to know me pretty good. But this is just for the SEI build. It's not that I don't mind bedded actions, in fact I love them, but it's finding a qualified M14 armorer who will do them in a timely manner. It's a pain and time consuming for most gunsmiths. John Miller was golden to get your sniper rifle done so quick.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts