M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a new rifle and called SAI to run the SN. They said it was shipped out as a standard m1a. anyways, it has SAK NM barrel, code 7791362, trw bolt, H&R op rod, nm sights, rear sight marked nm/2a, oversized walnut stock marked with nm & sn next to receiver, stock glass bedded etc. I guess it could have been a later rebuilt NM rifle. Any thoughts?

TIA.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
If she had those USGI parts[bolt,op rod] in her originally she must be 20 years old or more , which can be a very GOOD thing with SAI. Some of their best rifles were built in the 86' thru 96' range which is often refered to as the Golden age of the M1A . The NM stuff was probably added later in its life. What range is the serial number?

·
Administrator
17,376 Posts
Picked up a new rifle and called SAI to run the SN. They said it was shipped out as a standard m1a.
What month & year?

DI5

Reactions: ray55classic

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
Jackpot!! Your the proud owner of a "golden age" M1A !! Welcome to the club, I got an 88' and a 91' myself. Wouldn't trade them for the world.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And added bonus is that just found out it came with 25 round 308 galil magazine, which I don't need so I guess i'll end up selling it/trading it for mini 14 20 round mags. would trade for gi m1a mags, but took advantage of PSA's $20 Checkmate sale last Christmas.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok couldn't sleep until finished cleaning and getting some pics up. Just got in the zone and kept going.

SN 0405xx
Bolt - 7790186/TRW zh
Op rod - hr
Trigger group - winchester
Hammer - SA
Bbl - SAK 7791362-3-76-9098240

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,406 Posts
That's a beautiful rifle. Make sure you give us a range report, it's probably a sweet shooter with all those mods.
m14brian

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
That's a nice rifle , a fine addition to your collection. Looks like new too!

Reactions: btreed2

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My buddy and I have been talking about this rifle and he's come to a hypothesis that with the standard contour NM barrel it may have been shipped out as a standard even with te NM barrel and just called and standard and NM sights and stock added later. Don't really know, but do know it is a sweet piece I hope I get to take out this weekend.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took her to the range today and I'm very happy. started at 25 yards just to see where it was shooting, 3 shots same hole. then moved to 100 and was shooting 5 shot groups, definitely need to spend more time shooting without glass and just need to spend more time shooting in general lol. Had some good groups with 3 shots being about 1"-1.5" and 2 fliers from flinching and getting squirrelly. Overall, I'm happy and will keep working on it.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Pay great attention to natural point of aim and follow through. Your groups should get more consistent.

May also have the trigger modified to NM [email protected] lb with a crisp break, shim the gas system and fit the stock and handguard. That should shrink your groups some and costs are marginal.

Make sure the front band-stock ferrule interface is also greased. Grease the front band at the indicated point.

Reactions: btreed2
1 - 20 of 25 Posts