M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I put together another quicky build for my truck gun and hunting with a 762MM forged receiver. I called it a quicky because I was so stoked to shoot it, I didn't even install the bolt stop or clip guide before I had to go and shoot it. Man, have I got it bad. The build went pretty smoothly and they are getting these things better with each go round I believe. The barrel threads were a little tight, but once you knock the park off the receiver and work it back and forth, she threads up tight. I used Art's method of putting a mixture of lapping and grease in there and run them in and out, works great. Make sure you clean all residue out well afterwards.

I ordered these a long time ago and was glad to get em, but sadly had to sell some to placate the little woman and do some vehicle maintenance. I had hoped to do another big four builds with them, but looks like I will only be able to keep one. I guess 7 is enough.....six man fire team and leader...DI5

It was real pretty weather and I did some plinking at logs in the dozer pile where I cleared my land for the horses to graze. It was hitting well at pine cones and branches at 25-50 meters away too. I didn't bench it and set sights yet, but have all confidence it will come in to me and make a fine hunting rifle. The stock will be going to Whamo Camo for another Recon paint job soon as I get off my butt and send it. Six and Brian have been waiting on it,....I think he said, when I told him I was late, " We''ll leave the light on for ya"...heh heh...Still trying to talk Brian into another of his Nam Tiger Stripe units, but the last one took it all out of him...much tedious work I understand. Whoever got that other one is one lucky stiff, ..I need to take him to the gambling boats with me for luck.DI5

I will post a range report later and some target groups from the bench with the TRW barrel. Also some closer receiver pics with the finish comparisons. The finish on these are way gooder-un and all the bolt stop windows, heel cuts, burrs in the rear sight ears, connector holes, mag well dimensions, op rod rail dimensions, are all GTG. I also used the 762MM bolt that I wrote about to fire this one too. It headspaced out at 1.631 and I lapped it very little so I could use it on another all 762MM build and put the TRW bolt in here later to keep it all correct.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Congratulations! I've been following all of your 762mm threads and I've found them all to be very informative and entertaining. We need more close-up photos!!!!!
GI6

·
Registered
137 Posts
looks like a nice rifle!I have a TRW kit waiting for a rec.LRB told me 4 months.Doesn't sound like a long time. But those TRW parts look lonely.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nice looking rifle. Sorry for the lost hope of the big four build, that would have been fun. Is that one of the SAI polymer stocks it is sitting in?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Looks good RIP. I keep telling myself I'm good at 2 builds after selling #3! Hope I can keep deceiveing myself. MCORPS1

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice looking rifle. Sorry for the lost hope of the big four build, that would have been fun. Is that one of the SAI polymer stocks it is sitting in?
No, it's a G.I. fiberglass stock, the one I will send to Six, I am just trying to find time to fill the holes drilled in it for the Tac Pro cheek rest review, before sending to the paint shop at whamo camo. I bought it off a guy at ARF.com already painted with some kinda paint that comes off easily, hence my idea to strip it and send to Six for custom job. I got it pretty cheap with an arms mount that will eventually go on this rifle to scope it for hunting. I am waiting on back order medium arms rings that are out of stock at this time. I called back Friday and she said this coming week they will be back in stock. I also ordered the Harris bi-pod QD set-up so I can whip it on or off as needed from arms. Now all I gotta do is get Mike Sadlack to send me one of his heavy duty forward rail mounts, and I will be combat ready for those pesky critters next year at the hunting club.....When they run those dogs, they better watch out !...My plan is to take the shot way ahead of the other standers, before they can get a shot at the buck....Yes, I will pick the high ground looking over the cut-over for my standing position. I can see it now, so clearly, my bi-pod resting across the hood of my 4-wheel drive.....tracking that poor unsuspecting beast as he runs through the bottoms, thinking he is hidden and safe. Last year I watched two does and two fawns crawl on their knees through the brush in a thick bottom, and glassed behind them about 500 yds to see the dogs coming hot on their trail. I had never seen deer crawl before, but now I know where to set up for cutting off their escape route.

I already did the big four once....this was to be my second set. Marriage has it's ups and downs, but I am lucky, there have been more ups than downs, so I can't complain. I am truly a blessed man to have her. I wouldn't trade her for all the rifles in the world.....well maybe some belt fed stuff....haaa.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Man you do have it bad. I could buy a whole nuther car with the money you've raised lately.GI8 She aint used to nothin fancy.
Lookin good my friend

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man you do have it bad. I could buy a whole nuther car with the money you've raised lately.GI8 She aint used to nothin fancy.
Lookin good my friend
She's just a good ole country gal, and requires nothing special. In 25 years, I could count on one hand of fingers, how many times she has asked for something. So when she ask, I deliver. Yep, I have been poor my whole life, and always bought cars and trucks that were at the most 1500 bucks, since I do all my own work, I could keep em running. But now she has a 91' Silverado with all that computer crap, I can't figure it out, so finally, I will have to hire something out...it is ticking me off too. I had to sneak the TRW in the back through the shop....GI3

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Rip, that's one good looking normal rifle! I read a "rumor" that you were going over to the dark side, that you just had to have one of those "Buck Rodgers" rifles. I'm glad to see you stopped drinking that Mississippi hooch and sobered up without any permanent effects! GI2

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rip, that's one good looking normal rifle! I read a "rumor" that you were going over to the dark side, that you just had to have one of those "Buck Rodgers" rifles. I'm glad to see you stopped drinking that Mississippi hooch and sobered up without any permanent effects! GI2
welllll,... it will reside in the Sage EBR until it's new outfit arrives back from Missouri. I decided to put the Springfield G.I. build in the ebr.....No, I never played with Ken dolls.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rip,

Just finished my own 7.62mm / TRW build. I used one of Jon Wolfe's stainless medium contour barrels. The USGI walnut stock that came with the TRW parts kit turned out pretty nice also.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
ripsaw,

Very nice build! I wish I know how to build my own. I sent mine to Jon Wolfe.

As for Whamo Camo Tiger Stripe, you can't go wrong! Here is an early "Vintage" Whamo Camo Tiger done back in the 2000's when Rick just started out (bottom rifle):

Safe shooting!

George

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Rip, you are truly the man....................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts