M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been an FFL and SOT (Class III Dealer) for about 24 years. I live in a small town just northwest of San Antonio, Texas, called Helotes. That is Spanish for "corn." I graduated from West Point in 1969. I was issued an
M14 that I carried for my first three years there. The M14 was the first military rifle I qualified with. My gun business is named Alamo Professional Arms. My specialty used to be building and selling M16 rifles, but now all the full auto guns are too expensive to do much with. I got rid of all my M1A's about 12 years ago, because I went with all my rifles in .223 for a while. Now I am back into M1A's and Garands. I have a lot of experience with the AR15 and M16, as well as a lot of experience with suppressors (silencers), so if anyone has a question about any of that, let me know. I am trying to get back to knowing about Garands and M14's, so that is why I am joining the group.

My "real" job is I am a psychologist in private practice in San Antonio, Texas. I am also a full-time professor at Texas A&M University at San Antonio. They hired me on there due to my military background and degree in counseling. They are developing a program to train graduate students to get their Master's Degree in Counseling with a specialty in working with veterans and their families. The VA cannot keep up with the volume of veterans needing help for PTSD, TBI, etc. In 2014, we are opening a two story building called The Patriot Casa that will be devoted to offering counseling, tutoring, etc. to veterans and their families who are students at A&M at San Antono. There will be a good deal of publicity on this later as this is the first program to offer the specialized training to work with veterans and to have a whole building to help serve those who have served.

For those of you who are veterans, thank you for your service. To all of you, thank you for the website and for your participation in re-educating me.

Charles Tatum

·
Administrator
17,196 Posts
Welcome on board Charles Tatum, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great week neighbor. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you.

DI5

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Charles,

Welcome to the forum.

Your forum name reminded me, one of our match directors might have been there the same time you were. You two might even know each other. His name is Joel.

nez rongero

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Howdy from Austin.

I was in the Class of 1969 at A&M. When I was in Vietnam, I had a immaculately maintained M-16 jam bad in a firefight after multiple magazines. As a result, I'm not a fan of the design or platform at all.

Like you I started with a M14 and own a M1A SOCOM 16.

The military after blowing $billions on planes that never fly or ships that never sail, the individual rifleman's predicament is not hugely different from Vietnam except a grossly different environment. We owe these men and women a decent reliable, accurate, and longer range rifle. Unfortunately, the M-16/M-4 soldiers on.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a bit to the South and East of you! Sounds like you could teach us a few things! Lots to learn here, I too put away the M1A/M14 rifles many years ago and within the past two years, I have come back to them, a fine shooting rifle is hard to keep away from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts