M14 Forum banner

Newbie with Springfield Std and extracter problems

1006 9
Hi all,

I got my M1A standard a few months ago. I love the rifle, having put about 500 rounds of Australian through it so far.

At the range today I had my first malfunction, a fail to eject. I removed the spent shell, then tried shooting again. Failed to fire. I then took a closer look and the ejector was missing, the plunger extractor spring was hanging out of the bolt face, and the firing pin was hanging off the bottom of the bolt.

I'd like to get the gun properly fixed asap, so that I can get back to the range.

I'm thinking of 3 possibilities and am seeking advice on what to do:

1) Try to fix it myself. I'm a new rifle owner, and I've seen posts from folks mentioning replacing extractors. However, do things like headspace have to be rechecked after replacing the extractor? Another advantage is that I could use USGI replacement parts.

2) Send it back to Springfield. I'm not sure how long this would take, and I'm guessing I would still have the problem of a non- USGI extractor. Although, I have more confidence in them fixing it than doing it myself at this point.

3) Send it out to an independent gunsmith. Does anyone know a smith qualified to work on M14's in the SF bay area?

Would appreciate thoughts and advice!

thanks,

Ed :cry:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
:( I would get a GI Extractor and put it in, end of Problem. :wink:

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Try to replace it yourself. It is not very difficult and you should learn about the care and maintenence of your rifle. You will need to purchase an M14 combination tool which is part of a USGI cleaning kit. It is very helpful to have this kit and it fits in the butt stock. www.BillRicca.com, sells them and spare parts for the M14. The new extractor will not affect the headspace of the bolt.

I highly recommend you buy a copy of Scott Duff's 'The M14 Owners Guide'. It explains the maintenace and repairs to the M14 type rifles with diagrams and drawings of the parts and tools required. It is available from www.champchoice.com. Good luck and have fun with your repairs!

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
:( SAinc Reproduction Extractors tend to be a Problem, on some of them the shaft is to long and they drag on the Bottom and dismantle your Bolt, A GI Extractor wont do that. The easiest way to disasemble and assemble your Bolt is putting a FIRED 3006 Casing in your Chamber and runnig the Bolt on it, that way you dont need three Hands or an ExpensiveTool!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get the bolt repair kit from Fulton Armory. I had some failures to extract a few times, replaced the bolt parts with Fultons, and now it runs like a dream.

See if you can find an empty 30-06 casing, it can help you take the bolt apart if you have problems. Somebody else here can probably explain how to do it better than me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info

Hi guys,

Thanks alot. I'm gonna replace it myself. I have the Duff book, but haven't read it fully yet. Will now.

I have 2 additional questions:

1) Fulton is out of both the extractor and the bolt repair kit. They say it's out for 2 weeks. Do you have any recommendations for other parts suppliers? Bill Ricca was mentioned, how about others? Also, are these parts definitely USGI, or can they also be repro parts?

2) The Duff book mentions a firing pin protrusion gauge. I was thinking of replacing my firing pin, partly because it got scratched, and partly to get a chromed one. Do I have to worry about the protrusion measurement?

thanks again!

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.