M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my very first post on this forum and already I have questions....

First, I'm a pretty experienced shooter and hunter, but almost a total M14 virgin- I've tried one out, ten shots fired at my local range and I loved the rifle, but actually I was already sold on it after reading Boston T. Party's Bible. Being a Canadian the big M14 choices available are the Chinese versions, and I've had a Norinco version on order for some time now. The distributor assures me that the quality control is vastly better than in Boston's day, and in particular hardening and head space problems are a thing of the past. I guess I'll find out, but looking at the vendor's catalogue, I see that a number of options are available, in the way of modifications, and I'm wondering which I may want to order along with the rifle, trying to save on shipping and to start out with the best rifle I can put together. The options that catch my eye are, in particular, a 'Match Grade Stainless Op Rod Spring Guide', and a gas tube shim kit, along with a 'recoil buffer' 'to reduce the steel-on-steel battering of your rifle's op rod against the receiver'. All three options are new Canadian manufactor. None of these are particularly expensive, but I don't want to waste money that might better go for target ammo.

If anyone has any advice on the worth of those three options, it will be most appreciated!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome to the Forum..

1. Norinco being Chinese means buying one is sending money to the Chi Comms. Something I refuse to do.
2. Norinco M14s have had head spacing and bolt hardness issues. Not sure how you will tell when yours would have been made or if it is okay. Just buy US GI parts and replace as necessary.
3. NM Pistons, spring guides, gas system shims, bedding, etc all help with consistent and smaller groups. Whether the cost is worth it is up to you. None are magic .5" group makers at 200 yards. But each does help some.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The upgrade parts are made here and not in China, what I was wondering is if they are desirable now or perhaps after 5,000 rounds have been fired or whatever. I'm with you on the Chicom issue; however choices are limited in Canada- some US makers will not sell here and Canada will not allow importation of many others that originally had a full auto option. You can blame screwy left wing politics on this and be perfectly correct.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You are in good hands here... I myself am new to the M14/ basically to firearms in general. Sorry I can't help out with your questions on you new rifle, but I can offer you a warm welcome into the M14 forum!
Welcome and enjoy! BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
977 Posts
I am interested in hearing more about the recoil buffer as well. I have a seen a couple of things somewhere that did not speak highly of the item.
Its that little white piece of foam or rubber right?

Other than that, folks seem to reccommend a match grade spring guide. I just picked up a Sadlak that sadly will have to wait until SAI looks over my safety before I look to install it.

Try to buy U.S. made if you can, we can all use the cash down here! Still, so much is sourced to China, it can be awfully hard not to end up with Chinese made stuff even when you think you are getting USGI issue stuff any more.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm, I'm having a little trouble finding an upgrade guide rod: the northern distributor is sold out, as is Brownells. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations as to where to buy...?

I did manage to order a recoil buffer and will post my opinion about that once I actually get the rifle and have fired maybe a couple hundred rounds with and without. Hopefully affordable target ammo will not disappear off the market again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts