M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some GI parts (trigger group/complete bolt/op rod) from Orion 7 and I noticed a few things;

the op rod seems to fit a lot more snug in the rail, and when I ride the op rod slowly back home, the bolt will often stop and not lock up completely, I understand that you are not suppose to ride the op rod when chambering a round. However my SA Inc cast bolt doesn't do this on a empty chamber, so is that normal?

Another thing is, the op rod doesn't line up perfectly with the gas cylinder 8O ....it's off by maybe 1/16th of a inch... I read somewhere that it is not normal, how do I go about fixing it? Or can it be easily fixed by a competent smith? Or should I get a new rod?

TiA
Mike

·
Registered
146 Posts
Two explinations:

(1) Your op-rod may be bent slightly out of spec.

(2) Your SA receiver is slightly out of spec.

I have a SA M1A and tried a USGI op-rod and have found it to be a much tighter fit that the SA oprod. In fact, it is very difficult to get the usgi oprod off the receiver. However, I had no functionality issues with the USGI oprod. I went back to the SA op rod since there was nothing wrong with it and it fits looser. Its not a match rifle, so I rather have a little looser fit to ensure reliability.

If your SA op rod works well, then just leave it on the rifle. Otherwise, you may want to send it off to Smith Enterprise or some gunsmith of that caliber to fit the rod to the receiver. If you want to put the USGI bolt on, you'll need someone to head space it for you. This is not a drop-in part!!! :!: So you can have them check the fit of the op-rod at the same time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I understand that the bolt is not drop in, I do plan on sending it to a smith for rebuild, should I keep this rod and have him fix it or should I find another rod? Is this a common problem that a competent smith can fix easily?

it seems that the GI op rod is bent when I looked at it under the light, because my SA Inc rod moves freely when it's in place,

·
Registered
188 Posts
Op Rod

Darkest,

If you feel you have a problem with the op rod, give Tony a call after January 7 (he's out till then), and explain your situation. He's a really great guy and will do what he can to make you happy.

Darrell

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would give Smith Enterprise a call and ask their opinion instead of us armchair gunsmiths. They may be able to tell you if the op-rod can be re-bent to spec or if its a receiver issue. Otherwise, follow the previous suggestion to give Orion7 a buzz after Jan 7.

·
Registered
947 Posts
A good condition M14 bolt is literally a "drop in" to any M14 or M1A rifle but it's still a good idea to check. Problem is there's nothing to check this with and your local gunsmith won't have the gages either.

SAAMI gages are severely undersized and you'll think your rifle is out of spec when it isn't. With a USGI chrome lined barrel barrel the bolt should close on the SAAMI NO-GO gage. Yep, close. SAMMI NO-GO and unobtainable USGI GO very close. The SAAMI NO-GO is really a bit too small, but it'll work. SAAMI Field (reject) gage can also fit, but since the USGI Field gage (731994) is also unobtainable hopefully the SAAMI gage won't fit as it's actually a bit smaller than the USGI NO-GO gage.

I posted the specs in an earlier thread. Also see http://www.jouster.com/lanestips/m14headspace.html

Match rifles will want different chambers, normally smaller. SAAMI gages may be useful here.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
A M14 bolt is "never" a drop in part for safety reasons.
"ALWAYS " check headspace when changing bolts.It's always better to be safe than sorry.

The op-rod can be checked with a straight edge.Any bend in an op-rod can be found this way.They can be corrected if done right.

warbird

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.