M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am proud to announce a new GIRL and My Best Lady: Elvira.
Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM II RNGR2

I now am exposed to the continuing requirement for accurate loads. So I pose to the eloquent minds of this forum to advise on the following:
1) a good, solid reloading platform for .308/7.62x51.
2) It must support other calibers: .300 WIN MAG, 7.63x39, .223/Nato

I had a Blue Press many years ago for my hot load pistols when I still had the stamina to do PPC
and now this old man likes seeing the ZOMBIES staring at the shotgun (if they get that close).

I would like a reliable, multi-caliber rifle reloading platform and input for powder/ primer sources.

Yes, it needs to be 'CALIFORNIA LEGAL'. DISHOUT

All responses are appreciated.
A Humble Former Servant of US of A Intelli.
Cheers

·
Administrator
17,393 Posts
Great decision in registering here and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you post often drax05.

DI5

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I like and use the RCBS Rockchucker series of presses for rifle calibers. Been using them for many, many years with great success. Since rifle rounds generally require trimming a progressive press doesn't necessarily fill the bill here.

I used a Star reloading press for years for handguns but was talked out of it a few years ago and haven't gotten around to replacing it as of yet. I do have an RCBS Piggyback II that I use for handgun reloading but its a PITA to convert to other calibers. I'll probably go with a Dillon RL650 someday.

Good luck on your quest and a welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
My vote would be for a Dillon RL 550 B. They are excellent presses for both beginners and experienced reloaders. But there's also nothing wrong with RCBS, Lyman or Hornaday or Redding either. They all make good equipment for doing the jobs that are needed.GI2

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
+1 on what 3G said! The 550B is a great press, so is the xl650. Now I just need a Super 1050!

Blue Koolaid ain't cheap but it sure tastes good!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
RCBS rockchucker. and I am a noob loader too but have loaded probably 700 rounds on the chucker. rifle loads I feel comfortable loading single stage style, not progressive.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use a Dillon 450. It precedes the 550. 4 pistol calibers and 5 rifle calibers. Full size for the semi and neck size for bolts.
It is quick for pistol. Slower for rifle since I skip the powder drop stage and opt for the RCBS powder drop and trickle to weight. It's quicker than the rockchucker, but there is not a damn thing wrong with chuckin.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Do you want to pump out a lot of ammo quickly? Then get a Dillon skip over the Lee and Hornady progressive presses IMHO there junky.

If you want to spend more time loading smaller amounts of ammo that will shoot the most accurate then get a Forster CO-AX. That is with out a doubt the best single stage press on the market. If you can't afford it get a rock chucker, But I assure you at the end of the day you will love the CO-AX just as much as I love mine.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/reloading-presses/single-stage-presses/forster-co-ax-reloading-press-prod38303.aspx
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jL2IAMtOr0[/ame]

I will attach a photo of my CO-AX

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Mike dillon for president

Seriously, the Dillon 550 is so versatile, user friendly, No BS lifetime warranty, a little pricey. Uses standard 7/8 x 14 dies. Sometimes, when I'm being anal about accuracy I use the 550 as a single step, loading one round at a time. I have uses others, would not think of letting my Dillon go.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am proud to announce a new GIRL and My Best Lady: Elvira.
Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM II RNGR2

I now am exposed to the continuing requirement for accurate loads. So I pose to the eloquent minds of this forum to advise on the following:
1) a good, solid reloading platform for .308/7.62x51.
2) It must support other calibers: .300 WIN MAG, 7.63x39, .223/Nato

I had a Blue Press many years ago for my hot load pistols when I still had the stamina to do PPC
and now this old man likes seeing the ZOMBIES staring at the shotgun (if they get that close).

I would like a reliable, multi-caliber rifle reloading platform and input for powder/ primer sources.

Yes, it needs to be 'CALIFORNIA LEGAL'. DISHOUT

All responses are appreciated.
A Humble Former Servant of US of A Intelli.
Cheers
I have about 20,000 rounds of rifle loaded through my ‘junky’ Lee press and 3x that in pistol calibers. I’ve been using a loadmaster for the whole cycle of pistol rounds, for rifle I deprive, resize, trim & swage at a separate location with a smaller Lee press. If you are even remotely thinking of brass with crimped primers, the Dillon swager is the “bees knees”

I also use the Dillon 1200 trimmer.

I’ve gotten 1.25 MOA from my Socom 16 on a couple of loads, and 1.5 with 147 grain m80 pulls. I’m sure there’s room for improvement here too.

You can find components through the commonly followed online retailers mentioned in this forum with some frequency. watch for deals.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I also

Have the "junkie" Lee press and am presently in the middle of 2000 rds of .308 ,500 rds of 30-06 and 250 rds of .30 carbine.
Its really a surprise to me to hear my stuff is "junk" 'cause it has "worked" for me for years. Gee, who knew ?
I guess the thousands of rds. I have shot or warehoused need to be pulled down and done in an approved press....oh! wait...well.........

right !

·
Registered
533 Posts
Welcome to the forum! ICONCOOL

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I don't normally use Progressive Presses for Rifle. My favorite press for Rifle is the Redding T-7 which I have found to work the best for me. I load everything from 22 Hornet, to 375H&H with never a problem. The Turret can hold 2 sets of Dies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts