M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the proud new papa of a 20 round old Springfield Std. Syn. stock M1A. Will pick it up today before lunch. Anything I should expect from this rifle? Any parts I need to replace ASAP? As far as I can tell, there are no milsurp parts, nothing with TRW or any such marking. This is straight Springfield. Crinkle finish syn. stock. This will be my first M1A, and I'm looking to get a feel for it before I get a feel for it, IYKWIM. I'd be satisfied with 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 50 yds, is this reasonable? I'm basing this on two Bushmaster 5.56's I've owned, one of which was sacrificed to get this rifle. Either one, A1 or EoTech mounted flat top, I could get 3/8" groups at 50 yds. I'm not expecting as much out of this one, but it would be nice. :) Anything I need to look out for, as this is the first rifle of this type I've owned. I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me. Thanks in advance for your time, effort, and experience.

J.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle make sure you grease it up good the bolt lugs & roller and anywhere there is metal to metal, and enjoy your new rifle.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Welcome to the forum........

Welcome to the forum, Sargtanzer - there is no reason for you not to get great service from your "new" M1-A. It comes with a lifetime warranty so I would not fret about that end of it - the folks at Springfield Armory are great to work with. Accuracy? With good quality ammunition, your goals are very reasonable - if you have any questions once you get it to the range, there are a lot of knowledgeable guys here on the forum that can help you out. Again, welcome...

·
Registered
85 Posts
WELCOME sargtanzer !
I'm new to this rifle also. I was used to shooting a colt 6700 , got tiny groupswith it,shot it a bunch,but???.I wasn't happy with down range power. 6mos. with mia,900-1000rds later I have found the solution.
good luck with your new rifle. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. when all else fails "justshoot"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First range trip today, some questions...

Got back from the first range session with the new rifle not long ago, and had a few questions and observations.

This is the first time I've ever fired an M1A, and second time firing a semiauto .308. After shooting so much 5.56, this rig is a blast! Much bigger boom, not much more recoil, surprisingly controllable in rapid fire, flash suppressors WORK(all shooting was done tonight by headlights), and lots of fun!

Now to the questions. First, I think I figured out why the rifle was traded in. Through the course of about 100 rounds, I had numerous FTE's. It occurred to me that the chamber had never been cleaned, and was probably sticky with grease or cosmoline, as the FTE's became less frequent with more shooting. I'll give it a good cleaning tonight, as it was too cold to do it at the range. I'd intended to do it before I shot it, but a coworker just had to see what it would do. I'll know better next time. Does this sound like something that would happen to a new rifle with a dirty chamber?

Second, I was shooting some cheap milsurp of unknown origin. It came in lead or solder sealed metal containers of of 1,000 rounds, in twenty round boxes marked 7.62 mm L2 A2, and ink stamped with a vertical arrow, 51, and POF in a circle. Date of manufacture is 18 Feb 1980. The headstamp is L2A2 POF 80. Any idea about where this stuff came from or its quality?

Sorry to be so long winded, but I think I'm going to enjoy this one, and want to get off on the right foot. Thanks for the replies!

J.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new kid.

justshoot said:
WELCOME sargtanzer !
I'm new to this rifle also. I was used to shooting a colt 6700 , got tiny groupswith it,shot it a bunch,but???.I wasn't happy with down range power. 6mos. with mia,900-1000rds later I have found the solution.
good luck with your new rifle. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. when all else fails "justshoot"
Well, I certainly enjoyed my first outing with the M1A. This one's a keeper, especially if I can get the FTE's sorted out in short order. Otherwise, it's GREAT! Down range power is an entirely different class than 5.56. At least against steel, we shot the hell out of an old junked car somebody hauled out to the range. 7.62 is hell on an engine block, hehe. I thought it was going to catch fire!

Anyway, I'm happy with it so far, excluding the FTE's which I believe to be caused by a dirty chamber/improper cleaning. I'm also happy with my 5.56 within its niche, as an urban/home defense carbine without excessive penetration(M193, softpoints, etc). I'm trying to build a good all around battery, and I feel with this acquisition, i'm just about there. Thanks for the kind words JustShoot, enjoying your input in many other posts in the course of my research! Thanks to everyone responding to this thread, you have a great, supportive community here. Keep it going!

·
Registered
588 Posts
1. Were I you, I'd buy a new USGI extractor/ejector from Orion Enterprises or Fulton Armory or Amherst Depot or Bill Ricca and replace whatever is in your bolt. The Springfield Armory Inc. bolts are notorious for those parts causing problems. Whatever you end up with, use a toothbrush to scrub under the extractor claw thoroughly after each shooting session.

2. Buy a pack of quality ammo to try out. I don't know what your ammo is, but it might be the crummy Indian ammo. 140 rounds of good South African surplus at AIM Surplus is about $23.

3. Buy some ratcheting chamber brushes and a cleaning kit. Use one brush to scrub the chamber, then sacrifice a second brush by wrapping patches around it and use it to clean the chamber after scrubbing with the first brush.

4. Use grease, not oil, to lube. Militec might still give out sample packs of their grease. I tried it and it is a winner. Some folks use high-temp automobile bearing grease from the auto store. YMMV.

Most of all, enjoy the rifle. I own 3 and they are sweet shooters. They have more BOOM than an AR15, but are pleasant to shoot.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Sargtanzer, Your FTE problem could be a dirty chamber or even worse grease or oil in the chamber. If you don't already have a chamber brush, get a couple. They are cheap and must have items for the M14/M1A rifle. If you store the rifle with oil in the chamber & bore, run a patch with bore cleaner then a dry patch through bore then chamber before going to the range. Also keep the bolt face and extractor grove clean as mentioned above. The M1A does not require rigorous cleaning like some semi auto's do to function but the above and keeping it lubricated properly goes a long way to make it a 100% reliable rifle. If this doesn't do the trick, look for a USGI extractor and bolt kit. It's good to have spare bolt parts anyway. Enjoy your new rifle. I think you 2 will have many happy years together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys!

I ordered two ratcheting chamber brushes the day I bought the rifle, but they're not here yet. I'm waiting to shoot it again until I can work on that chamber. I have a couple of Otis kits that I'll be using as well.

I'll probably order the GI extractors when I get back to work on Thursday. We'll see how she runs this Sunday. Thanks again for all the advice and the information on the ammo. Y'all take it easy.

J.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.