M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sure that this has been asked and answered a couple of thousand times here but I'm new here and new to the M14/M1A as the title says and to be honest a bit overwhelmed so I ask for your forgiveness in advance.

I just picked up a used but never fired SAI standard and it came with several boxes of commercial 308 150grn from various manufacturers. Can this be safely used or does the M14 need to be treated the same as the M1 Garand where you need to use reduced pressure loads or get an adjustable gas plug so as not the bend the op rod?

While were on the subject, if anyone could point me to any threads that are must reads I'd appreciate it greatly!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
150 gr commercial should be fine. Check the stickys in all forums Pay special attention to Tonybens excellent video tutorials on the m14.

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
. . .Can this be safely used or does the M14 need to be treated the same as the M1 Garand where you need to use reduced pressure loads or get an adjustable gas plug so as not the bend the op rod?. . .
I often wonder how Internet myths get started, so, I'm curious - where did you hear this??

Ray

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't so much hear or read it as I made an assumption that the M14 was similar to the M1 Garand and wanted to make sure before I started out on the wrong foot. I've got an adjustable gas plug in my Garand and just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome Orphan, lots of good info here, in a very general statement any .308/7.62 ammo up to and including 175 gr weight will be just fine for M14, most will say stay away from the >175 gr heavy hunting loads.

Not that they wont work just that it will be rough on your weapon, much like shooting a 325 grain bullet out of .44 it will work but, will be rough on your equipment.

Not to confuse the issue but you can shoot cast lead bullets in the M1A as well, in which case your bullet weights will be in the 180-220 range, but with lead of course you are shooting at reduced pressures compared to FMJ ammo to offset the heavier bullet.

·
Registered
10,897 Posts
If the 150 gr commercial ammo is FMJ, Ball, Match, Target, etc, it should be fine. Most of this stuff will have a velocity of 2780 or less.

Avoid ammunition with bullets specifically designed for hunting, unless you know for sure what the powder, pressure and velocity are. Stay away from things with "light magnum" or such on the label.

There are improvements to the M14 design over the M1 that make it more forgiving, though not as much as an AR rifle.

After you have fired enough proper ammunition in an M14 platform, you will instantly "feel" if the stuff you are trying is not a good idea. RNGR2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts