M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to buying this round in bulk, but now want to with an m1a coming around. I have/get a lot of quality ammo in 223/5.56 from lake city, federal, IMI.

Seems like that isn't easy with 308/7.62? From what I can tell the lake city m852 and hirtenberger would be awesome to have... but I only see old aussie and other ammo out there. Of course there is new federal, but I guess I am either not seeing something or I am now aware of new reality. I have been reading the boards, but the threads are pretty stale over a year now that I have covered... Any advice appreciated. :wink:
Thanks.

·
Rest in peace
1,399 Posts
The Australian .308 is great ammo. It's not quite Match Grade in most weapons, but is sure-fire and clean. Portugese surplus is in the same boat, as is Radway Green from Britain. The only ammo currently on the market that isn't worth shooting is the Indian ammunition. Oh, and the Spanish Santa Barbara is also quite good. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
8)

http://mactec-militaryarms.com/ammo_sales.html

I've got the Aussie, Port, Brit and the German. They're all good to go in my guns as far as surplus goes.

I've got Lake City M80. It's better than the above and it's reloadable. :)

I've got Lake City M118 Match that's real good but pricey if you can find it. I paid $635 for 1940 rds at a show. The guy was trying to get $15 a box w/o much luck and I made him an offer as he was loading it all in his truck after the show. It was still more than I wanted to pay but it shoots well and makes geat reloads!!!

Hirt is nice but not much more than Aussie IMO and usually way overpriced.

I might try some Malaysian cause it's reloadable and I've heard it's a decent shooter.

Basically it's what your gun likes. That's why I reload. Find the sweet load and and make lots!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I try to take enough out of each pay check to buy a case of port, and I dont shoot that often, just keep it for a rainy day. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.