M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to understand all of the gifted knowledge that is being provided here on this forum but could I beg the experts to provide just a little more, please (I'll ask for more later!).

I have a standard rack grade m1a. I purchased a new wood stock and hopefully wood handguard. I would like to make it more. Having said that I know that there are many things that can be done:

Glass bed,
Unitize gas cylinder,
National match op rod,
National match trigger, etc,
New barrel?

Lets start with the first things.

I have bedded a mosin nagant m39 so I have some experience, but from what I read M1a/14's are tougher. Is there a pdf version of this process?

Gas cylinder. Shim? or Unitize?

I have read that alot unitize over shimming. However, I also read that SEI no longer unitizes but shims.

I think I should unitize - weld version? school me why I should go with the screw and glue method?

If I send the gas cylinder off to be reworked do I need to send the complete action? someone here mentioned that?

Can I just purchase a USGI gas cylinder and parts and send in for unitizing?

It was mentioned in one of the posts here to read one specific manual (military) that talks about bedding. Is there a pdf version of this document? link?

thanks in advance for your assistance.

KS Shooter

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think I should unitize - weld version? school me why I should go with the screw and

Both methods work well, but if you go with the weld method, you maintain the operation of the spindle valve. I have one of each and am happy with both. You dont need to send the whole action to have yours unitized just the gas assy. You can also purchase already done assy's from very talented people here using new manufactured or all USGI parts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was looking into the same thing recently with the unitization. I was about to start looking around for some welders, but then I noticed that unitized gas cylinders available for about $110 online (or maybe cheaper around here). I figured for all the trouble I'd go through, maybe having to find someone, pay, ship, etc. it'd just be worth it to buy that. Didn't take me long to put it on. Plus, I have a spare now too, and can return the rifle to its original configuration if need be.

see midway product# 256482 or look around here (though I'm still new here so can't help much with where to look yet)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guys,

thanks for the info. I looked at the midwayusa model. Houndmaster - who specifically should I look to for those made with USGI parts?

thanks,

KS Shooter

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Try Claude at RA Parts, a sponser on this forum.

·
Registered
409 Posts
+1 for RA Parts, Claude's got the goods.

Check out our sponsors page, lots of great products available. As for for your earlier quesion, follow this link. You should find directions on how to bed your rifle.

http://imageseek.com/m1a/

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
If your gas cylinder is working take it off and send it to cepilot and have him weld it up. It cost 30 bucks for an additional 15 bucks he will melonite heat treat it. Spend the money you save on a set of gi castle nut pliers. There is a section on the home page called stickys you will find some of your answers there, it's like a tutorial section of the forum. Oh cepilot does the uses the welding method. He is a member of the forum and sells a lot of sei parts in the px at a better than retail price. The best way to get hold of him is via email. His email address is [email protected]. He has done four of mine so far and I will be sending two more out to him in due time. All you need to send is the front band and gas cylinder. Outstanding work you will hardly notice the welds. He will do two internal welds behind the gas cylinder. How he does this is he drills two holes in the front band then he fills the holes while it is butted up against the gas cylinder. After the melonite treatment you won't even know they are there. He can and will make two external welds as well in addition to the hidden ones. One is on top and one is on the bottom of the front band where it contacts the gas cylinder. Are they nessasary? Nope. If you go this route and use his services you may want him to turn up the tabs that secure the front of the handguard. It makes for a tight fit for the handguard and reduces movement. You may have to do some minor fitting when re installing the handguard. It would intail removing a little bit of material from the section that fits into the front band. It's a no brainer so don't be put off by it. Trust me you will be satisfied with his work. I could list his credentials but my phone battery would die long before I finished. I don't know where you got your info about sei not unitizing gas cylinders. Quite honestly I don't know what he does or offers but low and behold Mike Harlow (cepilot) does all of SEI's welding. Why weld over using the AMTU (screw and glue) method? They both achive the same result there is no difference in function. It has been said that if a screw breaks when the amtu method has been utilized, you can make the repair in the field by removing the gas cylinder and installing a new screw. Well what happens if you can't get the screw out? I don't know anyone that goes to the range with small drill bits and and easy outs, do you? I would rather have a spare at that point. As far as failure rates on cepilots jobs I asked him once when I was just getting into this m14 stuff. He said he never had kne sent back so its a pretty good indicator. I don't think the failure rate in the amtu method is any different. I have been here on the forum for a little over a year and a half and never have read any complaints that either method has failed. I am sure they have but I think the failures are far and few between. I don't have any data to back that up. I would imagine armorers for the military teams have seem there fair share but let's face it we are not shooting on military rifle teams. As far as changing your barrel, might I ask why? Does it have a high round count? It's a job that would need to be done by somone who knows what they are doing and has the propper tools. The barrel you have may surprise you after you unitize the cylinder. My opinion on barrels is biased. All I have are Krieger barrels. I can only tell you that they are the Ferrari of M14 barrels. Worth every penny. Do you need to change yours if yiu just got the rifle? I wouldn't. Not unless you have coin to burn. I would see how your rifle shoots after you have the gas system done and you get a trigger job. If your not happy then think about it. I think what yiu may have confused about sending the whole rifle in for is the trigger job not unitizing the gas cylinder. I know people have just sent in there triggers and are happy but I read here from one of the M14 armorers that the propper way to do a trigger jib is to have the entire rifle. Think that pretty much covers everything you asked. If I missed something let me know. I have to go pass out the keyboard on my iPhone is getting blury. So I have to ask is this a new sai rifle? There is always the option of sending it back to them for one of there upgrade packages. They vary in price and options. Give them a call for more details. A couple of members recently sent there's in for this service.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
IMO, glass bedding the M14/M1A is the most difficult rifle to bed, bar none! if you've only bedded 1 or 2 bolt guns, you may want to opt for having a pro bed your rifle.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Just had two mcmillan stocks bedded by Derick Martin from accuracy speaks in az. Outstanding work. He also did the triggers.

·
Registered
558 Posts
On bedding.....

This might help you.

http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/M1A_Bedding/

It did me, plus Scott Duffs book. Let me tell, its not fun, but it is a nice feeling if you do a good job. On glass bedding, you just have to be really careful and ...

I would read this site carefully AND read Duffs book before you do it. I think there is some video series on it too, but Ive never watched it...

BTW: I did buy a bedding collar from Brownells...

·
Registered
558 Posts
On Triggers

Not hard to do at all, just need a steady hand, an India Stone and a trigger pull weight gauge. Its the first mod I ever performed myself for a 14...

There is a good section on it in McKee and Kulaks book "M14 Complete Assembly guide", plus associated safety checks that must be performed and passed if you do lighten the trigger..

Highly recommended book even if you don't plan on doing any mods....

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,108 Posts
Bedding DVD

There is a good bedding DVD available by Art Lupino. It is available from several sources including creedmoorsports.com.
DIY glass bedding is not for those with heart problems...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts