M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening Gentlemen,
Im new to not only this site but to forums and m1a's! I've been wanting an M1A for a year now and have been "lurking" this site for a few days.lol. I've been reading reviews and forums to pick up advice on which m1a to purchase. I am wanting the m1a to be my battle/hunting rifle. I understand some people are against having m1a as hunting rifle because of weight, but i see as a 2 for 1 and one in the same.

I want a NM (over the loaded model) for accuracy although I do not plan on competing. I will practice with the iron sites, but I eventually want to add a scope. My concern is the glass bedding. I realize I have to be extremely careful, but all info makes me feel like it will be ruined for adding scope or pointless since I'm not competing.

Should I consider the Loaded over the NM?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Stick to what you want, and can afford, otherwise you will be second guessing yourself.
If you want to work on the rifle to get to the National Match, get the loaded.
If you would rather not attempt the necessary upgrades yourself, get the NM.

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
The Army used scoped and bedded National Match rifles for hunting in Southeast Asia, so don't let that scare you away. The only difference is that bedded rifles need to be removed from the stock carefully and only when necessary. It's not something done in the field.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Welcome aboard. Maybe you need to get a bedded and an unbedded to start off. My first purchase was to buy both a Scout Squad and a National Match at the same time. You'll like them both if you can swing it. Shoot, share, and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,211 Posts
Welcome from SoCal!

I got a Loaded as my 1st M1A, I also don't compete but like accuracy and strive to work on it, I should have got a NM or even a SM, and I am largely a scope shooter. Learning irons are important as well, the M14 type has some of the best sights for a battle rifle, it's good to be able to generally know how to use them. My suggestion is to by the most rifle you can afford.
m14brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Wiz1997 and m14brian both of you make a great point about second guessing myself and should have gotten... Thats my worry. I'm over thinking it. I typically know what I want and stick to that.

KurtC thanks for the encouragement. Sounds like its doable!

Ranger7gt I did that on my recent purchase with two Henry's. I wanted both and couldn't decided which to get first. Since they where both new models and would be difficult to get later on, I got them both.lol. Don't think I can swing it this time around, but I do see a second one in my future. I think that Socom looks pretty sweet!

Thank you!

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Welcome pics and range reports are welcome here

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
IMO the Socom's too short, get the Loaded and don't try to make a bench rest rifle out of it.
howdy & welcome from Wyomin!

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Now you have made a good decision in registering here and most definite you came to the correct place to learn more about the M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her nutritional dietary needs, welcome on board and enjoy the site and I hope you post often MeanBean.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Go with your best guess and jump in.

I can't think of anything else useful that hasn't already been said. Generally speaking, it's cheaper to get what you want than upgrade something that started 70% of the way there. But if you like working on stuff, have at it. There's plenty of work available.

Pictures when you get it please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all your advice. Wife surprised me by ordering the NM and put it on layway. It arrived today at our gun store. I won't be back in town till Wednesday, but I'm excited to get my mitts on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm also excited to learn more... Can't really say much until I get it in hand, so I'll be "lurking" until I get it in hand.lol

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Mississippi. Keep us posted and looking for pics and a range report

1 - 20 of 20 Posts