M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I sat around the house for 4 months with a broken ankle and nothing better to do than play on the net and watch TV. Shooting is a hobby of mine and I got to thinking I needed a weapon with long range potential. I found this forum and you all got me hooked on the idea of an M1A.

This here is an SAI Loaded with Bassett tall scope mount, Promag stock and T-Pod G2 foregrip/bipod. The scope is an old 3-9X Buckmaster that I hope to replace soon.

I finally got to the range a few days ago and got it sighted in at 25 yards (still limited mobility, I should make it to the 100 yard range in a week or so). Gun ran well, irons and scope works well together with adjustable cheekrest. I like the combination of bipod and foregrip, still working on the best location on the rail.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Nice setup. Shoulda got into reloading while waiting for that ankle to heal......

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nice looking set up. Be sure and let us know how the stock works for you. I think that you made excellent use of your down time.GI6

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Range Report

I made it out to the range today and ran 120 rounds through her at 100 yards. Used Prvi Partizan FMJ 145 for the bulk of the shooting and Federal Premium 168 BTHP for score. Gun ran with no issues.

With the iron sights I barely held a 6 inch group. My only excuse is it was my first time shooting an M1A, bad eyesight, sun spots, etc (I think there may even have been an EMP nearby!). With the scope I managed 2-2.5 inch groups as shown in the attached pictures, bench rest, Federal ammo.

After ~80 rounds I switched from bench rest to the bipod and after just a few rounds the Bassett mount came loose. I tightened it up and gave it a 1/8 turn snug past the recommended setting of the weight of the rifle. Shot ok for another 40 rounds. I am suspicious the bounce using the bipod made the mount loosen - any advice would be much appreciated as I am hoping to shoot with bipod in general.

I will break her down in the next few days and check to make sure the Promag is holding up. All outward apperances look good but there's not been enough shooting to make any kind of judgement. Still got the SAI synthetic if need be.

In general my impression is the rifle is more competent than me which is good news, I can improve by effort and I will. No wonder you guys encourage reloading, this can be an expensive hobby - the Prvi is $0.5/round and the Federal is about $1 so I went through $70 today. At least next time it should not take as many rounds to find the paper ;) .

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nice rifle and range report. I'm sure with some fgmm ammo your groups will shrink in half. Have you shot her in the SAI stock? I'm wondering if the promag stock helped your accuracy or kept it the same. Basically most of us on the forum would like to get a compersion of the promag stock with other stocks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crusher has a pretty comprehensive report in:
http://m14forum.com/stock/97633-promag-m1a-precision-stock-review.html
It is the main reason I decided to try the stock. I don't think I am the right person for doing an accuracy comparison so put me down for life testing.

Midway has FGMM on sale for $24 a box so I am going to try a couple of boxes, thanks for the tip. Whoops, just checked the box on the ammo I used and it is FGMM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.