M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
I'm just another Army Captain with the taste and class to have fallen in love with the M14s we were re-issued in Iraq, came home and bought one. My preference was for the Norinco Polytech receivers and w/ cromed barrels because of application: ridiculously tough rifle able to hit a coyote at 400 yards even after being dirty in the back country. My first was a nice scoped norinco w/ an aluminum mount and took several deer with it in a stock configuration. Now I have 2 more, and am looking to build something more customized out of them so I am looking for input from the veterans:
Question one: I want to install gas ring sights on both and get rid of the bulky flash hiders and extra 4 inches. I have shortened and re-crowned other rifle barrels before but never a chrome-lined; any tricks i need to be aware of going in? I would almost like to just wrap the threads and not shorten the barrels to preserve the possibility of re-installing, but does anyone know of a thread protector? Is there some trick like wrapping it in some kind of thin metal ribbon or something? I MAY have to put on a hider that completely burns the flash inside (kind of a faux suppressor) to prevent abusing the night vision with muzzle flash- ironically the cheap un-slotted norinco flash hiders might work perfect!)
Question 2: Free- response: I am trying to build a pair of decent utility/hunting/all-purpose rifles. They'll have iron sights, an M68 and a PVS 14 on a scope mount, and a surefire up forward on a small discrete piece of rail I install on the traditional stock. The primary use will be shooting coyotes pigs and deer, and will probably have to go on many rough jeep rides and road marches, camping trips in the rain and mud, and will see Florida, Indiana, Missouri and anywhere else I am blessed to travel. So, I could humbly ask to learn from your successes and mistakes in such thinks, please let me know here.
Question 3: Ammuntion. Just about everything i shoot at I can use a 150-168 grain bullet, and I do reload my own ammo. On my last Norinco I put in the stiffest guide rod springs and buffer blocks i can find in order to prevent abusing the parts, and when I sold it at about 1200 rounds through the buffer block wasn't even beat up too badly. I have always loaded and run decent .308 recipe handloads through my chicom rifles with no issues, never pushed it TOO hard cuz I don't feel the need for chasing a 300winmag performance. Any other tricks in general i need to be aware of?

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,027 Posts
The lost art of research has not been missed place yet....

Welcome on board coyote47849, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for great information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great weekend Sir. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you.

DI5

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Hey Cap'n:

I think you will find that the Gas Lock front sights, won't fit on the Chinese barrels! Sorry. The Flash Suppressor Castle Nut will work, but just barely and will be a little"canted". Both conditions are due to the metric threads used by the Chinese.

Anyway, a shorter (American made (SEI?)) "screw on" Flash Suppressor might be problematic on the Chinese barrel.

Some will argue, but the Chinese rifles are really pretty decent, especially the receivers, barrels and op rods. The bolts are made of the wrong material and can be problematic...likewise, the Chinese stocks are "iffy". You might want to invest a hundred to a hundred and a half to get a "GI" synthetic stock for it. If you do change stocks, you should change the connector pin (holds the Op Rod Spring Guide to the receiver) since the Chinese connector pin is shorter than the American connector and can work it's way out when a US stock is used with a Chinese rifle.

Be sure to get a "GE" synthetic...not a commercial synthetic!

Good luck!
GI1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good tip on the op connector pin- i hadn't checked that. And I'm sitting on a beautiful USGI walnut stock for one of them and a spring syn for the other, so that might have proven inconvenient at the least opportune moment like trying to pick up a double on songdogs, eh?
Too bad on the gas lock sights: hopefully if they show up and DON'T work I can return them cuz they were like, $85 a piece. Wonder if I can do something with JB weld and ... Nah, just kidding :p If it doesn't work I can accept it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.