M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

a lurker since a couple of months and proud owner of a standard M1A (walnut stock, CA legal).

- after about 2k rounds, I have brass spots on the outside of the gun, mainly on the slider. How to clean these ?
- hesitant to be "too rough" on the gas piston. Is it OK to use break cleaner or similar without damaging the surface ?

Thanks all,

Roland.

· Registered
1,769 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida.

Listen to what Capona says, I clean my gas piston with Hoppe's Bench Rest solvent, wipe it off, clean interior of gas cylinder and put it back together dry. Do not use anything abrasive on the gas piston, it is not recommended by SAI.

I do not use any other type of solvent on my rifles. I lube and grease where recommended.

The brass colored marks on the rifle exterior are normal, I leave them be, but you can remove them with the rifle cleaning solvent if you want. A blue "scruffy" type sponge, the type used for cleaning pots and pans, works well and will not take the finish off the rifle op rod handle. The general rule is to go easy.

HTH.

· Registered
3,884 Posts
I hit the gas piston pretty vigorously with a brush and solvent. Brake cleaner is fine. I just get the big chunks off the outside (stains I don't sweat) and do the inside with drill bits.

· Registered
10,209 Posts
I just cleaned mine this morning to see if it works. It did.
I put some hoppes benchrest on there , let it sit for 10 minutes to work on breaking it down. Rubbed it off with a green scotchbrite.
Brass Shell marks come right off.

· Registered
13,086 Posts
I use plain old No.9 for 90 percent of cleaning on all guns. Use Barnes Copper solvent for the worst bores. I don't bother with the little case scars at all. With the gas system I use No. 9 with patches only, wipe dry and reassemble. I also have gotten kind of used to using bore snakes on guns like these, especially at the range. Its perfect for cleaning some crud out between test loads etc. They do a good job.

· Registered
4,390 Posts
The brass markings on the op rod and dents from brass on the wood stock is proof that the rifle is loved.
I have so much Love on the stock some day the stock will crack in half and I will have to buy a SAGE EBR to replace it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.