M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a mixture of 1 to 1 either turpentine or pure odorless paint thinner and boiled linseed oil and apply until it ceases to soak in, maybe 3 good coats then a couple of straight blo rubbed in and a final application of Wood's Bowling Alley Wax.
Thanks for the recommendation. My M1A is just returned from Springfield with new stock. I assume the stock has received minimal treatment. I will try your recommendation. Question: why the paint thinner?

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. My M1A is just returned from Springfield with new stock. I assume the stock has received minimal treatment. I will try your recommendation. Question: why the paint thinner?
This is not really a recommendation, just the way I do them. There are tons of options. I like to use the mixture to thin and help penetration of the first bit on new wood. On my third application I start the wet sanding to assist in filling the pores.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
So I let the first 2 applications set overnight then apply the third, let stand for an hour or so and wet sand to a thick slurry with 400 grit paper. Then hand rub and set aside for another 24 hrs.

T44 6.jpg

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Looking good.
I've been tinting the BLO with minwax red mahogany. Just something about the redheads.
Thanks Josh. I really like the color that BLO takes on as it ripens.
Redheads do have something for sure.

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
How is fit and finish, last time I called they said they had no wood and pointed me to DGS, that was about 6 years ago. DGS now uses boyds ?
I understand these came out of a special order through Boyd's.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This thread got me thinking. It's been years since I've seen "morning wood"

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
370 Posts
How is fit and finish, last time I called they said they had no wood and pointed me to DGS, that was about 6 years ago. DGS now uses boyds ?
I heard DGS is no more?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wait a minute. Are we talking DGR or DGS? I

·
Registered
370 Posts
After Dean died his apprentice tried to keep the place going but like many small businesses DGR succumbed.

Reactions: nf1e
21 - 40 of 40 Posts