M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a nice used poly stock w/handguard this past weekend at a local gunshow, turd brown with someone's weak attempt at a tiger strip pattern. Decided to redo the camo. Stopped off at WallyWorld, picked up some "fusion" in sand, brown, and Olive, some new Xacto blades and a roll of blue painters tape.

I served in the Marines back in the early '80s, wanted a pattern similiar to that seen on the USMC M14's. Worked out the pattern using pics of some McMillon and other stocks. Slight variation on the colors with flat black upper handguard - closer to my liking. Pictures stink, sorry - will try to get some better ones loaded.

I'm very pleased with the end result - colors are great, topped with 3 coats of clear matte. When I got it all back together, it was like shaking hands with an old friend. Sounds kinda sappy I know, but as much as I like the slightly oversized wood stocks - I love the feel of the slimer profile stocks. BTW - this M1A was a gift from my wife (she's a keeper).

Scope/mount go on next along with reinforcement for the Harris bipod/sling swivel. Will get some better pics posted when complete.

LMK your comments.

USMC-1

·
Registered
526 Posts
Very nice!!! Welcome to the forum, by the way!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Excellent work with a classic pattern. Again, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the pics. As far as your wife goes, she is definitely a keeper.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Nice piece of work. I did a USGI fiberglass stock up in woodland camo for my Polytech and it turned out superb. I filled in the selector cut with JB weld and you can't tell it was ever there.

7th

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a poly stock, no primer. I scrubbed the crap out of it with a green pad then degreased to help get good adhesion with the paint. That's the big thing - you gots to get all the dirt, grime, grease off or the paint will not stick! Be sure to allow plenty of dry time between coats. As hot as it is down here in LA, overnight in my shop did the trick. Follow with at least three coats of a good, matte clear.

Speaking of the clear, don't get too concerned if during the clear coats the finish seems to get "cloudy" - that's just buildup of the clear coat. Don't muck with it, just let it dry.

I'm looking for another poly stock set now - gonna "experiment" with some different patterns, etc. Was a fun project, have a couple of my buddies here that are about to do the same.

Enjoy!
USMC-1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.