M14 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going every one, I'm new to the m14 but not to state of mind. From Michigan but stationed in San Diego. I've got a nice collection started out here and another back home. Checked out this forum right after i bought my m14 and couldn't be happier with what I've found . Here is a pic of what i have bought out here.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Welcome to California--good to have more shooters here!

You need to check this out:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

I think your M14/M1A is not in a California-legal configuration so you need to be cautious with it. As absurd as it may sound, we're talking felony here. There may be an exemption for military personnel, but be sure to check carefully before taking your rifle to the range.

Tim

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Wow thanks for the info i didn't realize that forward grip was illegal .
The California "assault weapon" law is so complicated that almost no one, including many police officers, fully understands it. I know I don't. So it's best to try to be squeaky-clean here. Most M1A shooters I know (including me) remove their flash suppressor and install a muzzle brake.

Also, be careful with your magazines. If you have any >10 round mags, you can make them legal by disassembling them. Importing a "high capacity" mag is illegal, but importing the parts for one is not. I am not making this up. Actually, given that our legislature is full of morons, we should at least be thankful that they are so moronic that they can't write a gun law that actually does what they want it to do.

Tim

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You might want to give a call to you AG's local office on base and they may have the info as to the legalities of your weapon if you take it off base. If that does not work there are numbers in the state section of the phone directory to the DOJ here and I have found them to be quite helpful. Despite that, I would ask your questions in a hypothetical setting and not put your business out there. FWIW

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcomes guys and the info, i have taken off the forward vertical grip just to be safe and figure i'll purchase all the mods i want and install them once i move back to Michigan. For now if i can't do it without mods i have no business shooting it any way.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
CS, with the forward pistol grip removed and the flash suppressor replaced with a muzzle brake you are good to go! (I can't tell from the photo if that's a flash suppressor, but I presume that it is, since you come from a free state.) Just don't install any mags >10 rounds.

A suggestion: Print out the flowchart and take it with you when you shoot your rifle. Depending on where you shoot, it can be useful to educate fellow shooters or even law enforcement officers.

Tim

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually bought every thing in the pic here in California. The m14 has a break, the only illegal item was the forward grip. You can bet i will be replacing it once i move back to Michigan.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The revolver is a Ruger Bisley Flat Top in 44 special. I was in the market for a Super Blackhawk but after holding both the Bisley is much more comfortable and actually designed to shoot one handed. It has a wider grip and lower hammer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.