M14 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Registered
I have not been a member here all that long but can say that I have greatly improved my knowledge and understanding of the m14 while here. Yes, it can be a little annoying to have to reach the required post count to participate in the classified sections but at least it is a realistic point and not difficult to reach. I do not always have a lot to say but do spend considerable time here and try to share with others my experiences and knowledge. I hope that this requirement will be annoying enough that it will deter at least most of the spammers. I have a couple WTB listings, and it was at the point that I was getting PMs almost daily that were spam. They were getting better and not just the typical email me: I have what you want response. I would spend time to see what their previous post were about and most often they were the typical "Hey" to some random item. Then I would report them. That was time away from my ability to do something truly constructive like sharing my knowledge and experience on the forum, or just participate in a conversation.

Anyway, times have changed, and we all have to do our part to make this a better place. What worked in the past may not be the same for today. Adaptation is the key to survival, and I am here to overcome and survive.

It would be nice to have some additional screening upfront for new members but that is not always possible. Maybe ask a few questions that the general public may not know but for someone that has any true interest in the m14 platform, the answers could be easily found.

Anyway, I want to thank the moderators for what they are doing, and I want to thank ALL the members for helping to make this the great forum it is.

Registered
#1, The Classifieds 搂 change.

ROE #1 Posting a thread
A minimum of 50 posts are required before you can see a post or thread in the PX/BX sections.

Note, No one or two word posts to increase your post count, if found they will be deleted and maybe a trip to Banned Camp. I'm sending 1-2 members a day to Banned Camp for being a Scammer right out of the blocks.

#2, After serval years of members asking to look behind the curtains, with the secret handshake and special Ring decoder... All Forum Members should be able to see the Politics and Reality Check 搂's with >50 posts/threads.

The software happened this afternoon.

XXIV Corps
There's a Politics and Reality Check sub forum? Who knew?

Been so long since I got in trouble for posting in threads I could see but wasn't allowed/authorized to post in I have no clue if that was this sub forum or some obsolete and gone sub forum. Just thought it was weird I could see a thread, post in it and then get in trouble for having posted in it because I didn't have permission. Must have been different back then. Or some software/forum glitch. Or a buck sgt. that just didn't like me. Sgt. Hopkins, are you a moderator on this forum?

Registered
Hi Everyone -

Many here will have different perspectives on the new post requirement; however, many have no idea how many scammers try to influence and rip-off our good members everyday. As one of the moderators (after doing my real job each day) I spend unbelievable amounts of time finding and banning scammers mostly late in the evening. In the past, anyone could go to the classifieds and start a post regardless of post count. We had to monitor each post to ensure compliance to the old 30 post count requirement and in many cases transactions took place before the moderators could take action and in many cases our members were scammed and financially impacted.

There is no doubt that if a new member comes aboard and settles into the forum, participates, becomes involved and contributes; the chance of being a scammer is exponentially reduced.

Changes had to be made! Most folks here would make a change if their M14 shot 10 inches to the right, or if you tried something 10 times and you failed you would make a change or if you banged you head against the wall and it really hurt - well maybe you would do something different (what was in place here was not effective).

Lastly, remember the moderators do not make (and can鈥檛 make program code changes) we have to rely on the owners (technical staff) as they control the code base and changes ultimately. So you may have simple ideas that could help with the scammers, but running those changes up and getting them implemented takes time and sometimes are not approved.

For those of you that have been around a long time, are good members and do not have 50 posts this may be viewed as negative, but you can participate and get to the required post count. If you leave the forum just due to this change then that is a shame! just actively participate and get to the minimum.

Lastly - remember the moderator staff is a volunteer group and all we want is a good forum for the members. Although this may inconvenience some, I believe this change will help protect our members. I have worked with many members that had financial losses and it is very frustrating when scammers get through and win!

Below is a post that I made a while back in the General Announcements forum which is a good reminder regarding scammers Since we are discussing this topic.

Thanks - M1Army
Appreciate the improvements. Thank you!

Registered
I find it kind of funny that all this comes about the day after I list some NM barrels for sale. Then I have a couple of members standing on my neck for making posts To get to the newly moved goal post. I then have the same people casting doubt on my intentions for the sale of said barrels. The facts are I buy sell large amounts of gun parts , powder, bullets and primers on the wholes sale markets regularly. ( Less since COVID). I thought i might try cutting out the middle man and pass on some savings to the end user. However i found that to be a waste of time. People look at a good deal as a scam these days. So I sold all 53 of these barrels to One of my buyers that lists on GB. I bet he will be listing them there for about 400 each. Truth of the matter is from what i can see is there is a few people that like to play referee and bag on new members to try to bet them out. To all you new guys getting into the M14 game. I know it is not as much fun as getting on a forum but Go out and get a few good books on the history of the M1 to M14 and good shop manuals. You will find most everything you need to know with out have to deal with the possible misinformation or the guy who has a knack for stating the obvious, guy who has to get his 2 cents in and the guy who always knows more than anyone ells. There are lots of books out there .You will learn a bunch more from a solid source. No one can negate this. Once you do this you have a vast amount of knowledge. You will be ready to take on the forum guys. Keep in mind you are not a rifle smith yet those skills come latter. After you wreck a few of your own guns first and fix your mistakes, learn to run some machinery. So I will stick with it to annoy the locals and make the 50 mark and maybe pass on some info.
Happy new year. ;) ;)

Registered
Sniper, Tactical and Long Range
I have been a member here since 2003 and an M-14 shooter for almost 45 years. I Have built several and I'm in the process of building another heavy barrel, still looking for a forged rear lug rec. .. hint hint. I have had my far share of scammers when I have been looking for parts. I will post and get my 50.

Registered
Yes it鈥檚 anon going thing that the Mods have to watch for.
ok spell check I didn鈥檛 write anon 馃槧 I鈥檓 writing this on my tablet.
Any way thank you for doing this.
will be looking for a scope mount. 馃憖

Registered
I find this very unfortunate. I came here to soak in knowledge and yes to make purchases. As you can see, my post count is indeed LOW. It's not because I'm a scammer or anything negative. It's because, in my opinion, I still have very little to offer regarding M1A and M14 rifles. I have learned much, but been able to contribute practically nothing that isn't stated by others. Now I need to either make practically useless but honest posts to use one of the forums' most usefull benefits, be okay with not using PX for well over a decade, or just stop using this site and rely solely on the few people I have developed relationships with off-forum. In full disclosure, I'll be choosing option 1 for now. I don't intend to poo post, but I acknowledge that my posts won't be as useful as most.

Registered
I find this very unfortunate. I came here to soak in knowledge and yes to make purchases. As you can see, my post count is indeed LOW. It's not because I'm a scammer or anything negative. It's because, in my opinion, I still have very little to offer regarding M1A and M14 rifles. I have learned much, but been able to contribute practically nothing that isn't stated by others. Now I need to either make practically useless but honest posts to use one of the forums' most usefull benefits, be okay with not using PX for well over a decade, or just stop using this site and rely solely on the few people I have developed relationships with off-forum. In full disclosure, I'll be choosing option 1 for now. I don't intend to poo post, but I acknowledge that my posts won't be as useful as most.
There are a lot more forums here (62 not counting the Classified 搂's and 2.2 million posts) to read and post in than just M14/M1A. I am sure you will find things that you have interest in and can share knowledge.

Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yeah, I usually just get on here to look at the classifieds or look at peoples post. I'm not much on posting. :cool:
Well, you're sure making up for lost time today, Carolina...

XXIV Corps

Reactions: Sorry Dude
21 - 40 of 52 Posts