M14 Forum banner

Would you be interested in a new commerically-built 5.56mm M-1 Garand

• I can't wait to get one

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I'd be interested in having a new carbine-style rifle like this only after good reviews come in

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • I am a purist who wouldn't own a mutt rifle like this

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I like the idea, and would like to contribute to the development

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the idea, and would like to help with testing

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Why isn't yet available? I want all variants yesterday

Votes: 1 3.8%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working with a close friend of mine for some time in the last year, and have decided a possibility (pretty damn close to actual reality in terms of feasibility) is the creation of a new type of rifle.

I'm interested in hearing what you think about the notion...

Would you be interested in seeing a commercially-available rifle that is based on the M-1 Garand design? This rifle would:

• Be true to the design features / theme of the M-1
  • Be available in a full-lenth 18 - 20" (or so) version
  • Be available in a 16" (or so) Tanker version
  • Support the possibility of a forward-mounted picitinny rail similar to the SOCOM II
  • Scaled down in overall size to accomodate the 5.56mm round (think Mini-14)
  • There would be no USGI parts
  • Uses new-manufacture clips that will hold 10 rounds

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Sounds very cool to me... I'd be interested, depending on cost. GI7

As a practical matter it won't do anything that the mini-14 already doesn't do with greater versatility and ammo capacity, but it sure would be cool!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Think you could get more than 10 rounds in an enbloc clip for .223 rounds. But I understand the legal limits of some States.

I have stated many times that I have little use for the .223 round, but it might be a fun little gun for my children until they can handle a full size battle rifle.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
A couple of years ago, I saw an internet article about a gunsmith/private party who modified a Mini 14 to look like a Garand.
He installed a new barrel about 20" long, and modified the front so that it would take a Garand gas cylinder. Then he drilled the front of the slide and put in a Garand op rod that was cut to size.
It actually looked quite nice.
I will try to find the link.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Sounds interesting but I would be more excited if you dropped the enbloc clip and modified it to use AR-15/16 mags. It really wouldn't do any more or less than a mini-14, but if it was quality built and used standard mags that would be a plus. Also this would allow you also offer a chambering in 6.8 SPC, even using the enbloc design that would be darn close to a must have for me.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that thinks this is wrong on so many levels.
I agree with you. If i need a 5.56/223, there are already a number of good platforms that are exceedingly accurate. no need to buy something because it looks like something else.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that thinks this is wrong on so many levels.
hmm, didn't Ruger do something along these lines and call it the "Mini 14"??

B 2/75, It's not my cup of tea . . but I am sure there would be at least a small market for your idea . . I applaud you for thinking outside the box . . . just make sure there is a viable ROI before you mortgage your house to produce this.

GI6

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
I have hundreds of guns and am always interested in something different. I think it would be a cute addition to my collection. I'm in, what's your time frame look like?

-

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Is it just me, or does this sound like a flop? I would never put the money in to the tooling and production of a 10 round mini 14....

Build a "short action Garand" in 260 or 7mm08 and that's a diferent story all together.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Or for something totally different , . . .

Is it just me, or does this sound like a flop? I would never put the money in to the tooling and production of a 10 round mini 14....

Build a "short action Garand" in 260 or 7mm08 and that's a diferent story all together.
How about an AK in .35 Remington or .357 magnum?

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
+1 7.62bthp, just do not think it will sell. Why not just convert a Mini-14 to an enbloc clip if you really want one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts