M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm hooked on Military type weapons :!: :!: . I just added a Yugo M59/66 from Century Arms in good condition. Where can I get a service manual for this rifle so that I can figure out how to take her apart for cleaning and back together without screwing it up :wink: What can I use to clean up all that preservative oil all over the rifle :?: .This is my first SKS type rifle. It will have plenty of company in the safe with my M1 Garand's and M1A's and my Mauser 98K-M48 :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
Thank you
Ezra

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply I will give Century a call. The only thing that was in the box was a sling and a moldy ammo pouch :roll:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I do not think you need a manual. I felt regret to buy one. Usually these manuals are printed in very low quality and useless. (from my point of view)

Go to "www.surplusrifle.com" and check the SKS carbine section. They have complete and very detail disassemble descriptions with a lot of color photos. Half year ago I was sitting in front of my computer and reading the articles of "surplusrifle.com" to complete the cleaning job of my Yugo SKS. That web site really helps a lot.

What you need are: de-greaser, hammer and punch (for bolt disassembly), a lot of towel and much patience. It's very important to clean your SKS throughly before your first range visit.

SKS is fun. Enjoy and good luck! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sv_sniper thank's for the reply :!: . I went to the web site I can sure spend alot of time there :!: :!: :!: . Lot's of great info there....now I have to go to the store and get more printer paper :oops:

Ezra

·
Registered
177 Posts
I degreased about half a dozen Yugo SKSs using mineral spirits. It is good to get the cosmo off the metal and it is great to wipe on the wood stock to get at least the top layers of cosmo out of the wood too.

Completely field strip the SKS, and imerse the trigger group and bolt in mineral spirits. Then use a rag with ms to clean all the other parts. Don't forget to clean out the gas tube and op-rod area beneath the rear sight base.

You will need to disassemble the bolt to get all the cosmo out of there too.

Clean it up, reassemble, lube it, then you're set to go shootin'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've used Easy Off oven cleaner on the stocks. Soak the stock down, wrap it in paper towels, soak it down again and wrap it in a plastic garbage bag over night. Take it out and wipe off the slime. It took the cosmo as well as the linseed oil out of my Mosin stock.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Before using the Easy Off, try using Hoppes #9 on a rag and that should take off the cosmo just fine. Easy Off is a tad harsh on wood and I only use it when I strip a stock to be refinished.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.